~ conjugal visits ~

(ugly ahh mugshot)-

(ugly ahh mugshot)
-

Placing everything she had down on her in the bin, she spread her legs and arms as the officer used his wand to scan her body down making sure she didn't have any weapons or other things on her. An eye roll at the fact that this was going longer than needed, the officer glanced up at her as he wand her legs.

"Am I bothering you, ma'am?"

"I'm here every three weeks. Y'all should know I don't have anything," She answered as he finished allowing her to gather her things such as her purse and bag that had snacks and real food in it.

"We never know. It could be this time that you wanna help your little boyfriend out and let
him escape."

"Fiancé," She corrected holding up her hand to show the ring.

"Too bad he won't be able to meet you at the aisle," The officer cracked along with the other officer present and she scoffed walking out the room to where another guard was waiting to escort her to the room.

She visited every three weeks for the past nine months as him getting arrested was not apart of the plan once they got engaged and since he was serving a five year sentence, the officer was probably right.

But today was the first day that she was allowed a conjugal visit with him.

The hallway seemed longer than usual as she followed the guard, her heart beating faster with each step. The sterile walls and the distant echo of voices reminded her just how far from her life outside this place she truly was. It had been nine months, yet the sight of the prison never got easier. She clutched her bag tighter, the weight of everything they'd lost hanging in the air.

The guard, silent as ever, opened the heavy metal door to a small, windowless room. A bed sat against the far wall, a table with two chairs beside it. It wasn't glamorous, but it was privacy—a rare thing in a place like this. She stood there, waiting, her nerves kicking in. They hadn't been alone like this since before the arrest.

Moments later, the door opened again, and he walked in, shackles on his wrists and ankles, escorted by another officer. Their eyes met, and for a second, the prison walls seemed to disappear. The guard unlocked his cuffs and quickly left, leaving the two of them alone for the first time in nearly a year.

He looked tired, more worn down than the last time she saw him. The months had not been kind to him, but his eyes still lit up when he saw her.

"You look good," he said, his voice low and rough from disuse.

"Missed you," she whispered, stepping closer.

His hands reached for hers, pulling her in tight as if he never wanted to let go. The weight of everything unsaid hung between them, but for now, it didn't matter. This was their moment, no guards, no bars, just the two of them.