Chapter 1

GINGER

---

I could see the dark muscley shape up ahead and the silhouette of the white horse that was even further up the slope. 

I hated being last, I wasn't as fast as Snow and I wasn't as strong as Monti.

I huffed and tried to speed up by pushing up with my legs harder but it only tired me out further and I slowed to a stop. Foaming sweat coating my shoulders and flank and I lowered my head to catch my breath.

I pushed up further though, this time walking, Snow was almost at the peak, Monti was trailing several strides behind but even he seemed to be slowing.

I huffed and pushed into a lope trying desperately to find a reserve of strength or anything to help me catch up. 

I began to daydream, what if I were as fast —maybe even faster— as Snow? What a wonderful thought.

As I was brought back to reality I realised that I seriously couldn't push on any farther. I looked up and could see the two colts by the peak of the mountain snorting in amusement.

I whinnied out to them breathlessly feeling a bit hurt at their taunts.

Snow turned and hurried down the slope, his hooves kicking up rocks as he practically slid down. It was the most awkward I have ever seen him.

"If only you had a bit more of Dads blood in you, hey Ginger?" He whinnied teasingly when he was close enough.

I snorted back at him. He was right.

"And you've got too much of it," I told him. "Anyone would mistake you for the ghost of Thowra with how pale your coat is."

"Most men believe he is a ghost," Snow tossed his head laughing and snorting. 

More small rocks tumbled down to my feet as Monti slid down to stand beside Snow, "I bet they haven't seen him walk through trees. However, I have stomped through bigger trees than-"

I cut him off, he was always so full of himself and me and Snow didn't want to stand around and listen to him gloat all day. "You're nowhere near as fast as him though."

Snow laughed at that and Monti huffed indignantly.

"Come on guys, I'm thirsty," Snow snorted when he had finished laughing and thundered down the slope in a flash and me and Monti raced to keep up with him.

Why did he always have to run?

I'm sure both me and Monti would have been glad to just walk to the nearest creek,

I was however glad to feel the cool water splash against my muzzle and tongue as I lapped it up thirsty after my big run.

"Do you smell that?" Snow gulped down water but I didn't pay attention even though I knew he was moving from beside me.

"Hm?" Monti sounded like he was licking his lips.

"Man," Snow murmured and then stepped into the creek.

I lifted my head when I heard that and followed him into the creek, the water splashing at my hooves but it did feel refreshing.

Man was feared by all the brumbies in the high country, my heart pounded in my chest. I wasn't fast, if man saw me he would obviously throw a rope around my neck and drag me to a cramped pen.

The creek would disguise our tracks. Snow was obviously the biggest target but a man would definitely settle for any horse he could lay his hands on.

I focused ahead trying to not let fear cloud my mind and stop me from being alert.

"Are you sure you smelt man?" Monti snorts at Snow and I glance over my shoulder at Monti who was probably not too happy at being at the very back of the train.

"Use your own nose Monti, the scents strong," Snow tells him quietly.

"It's stale that's what it is," Monti tells him flaring his nostrils.

Snow stops moving and I almost walk into him, he's looking around scanning the forest, flaring his nostrils and taking in deep breaths and pricking his ears.

I decided to do the same, at first the stench of leather, sweat, human and horse smelt like it was close but after further sniffing it became clearly stale.

"You're right, Monti," Snowy told him though he lowered his head in shame of being wrong.

I moved out of the cream and shook my head, not that it was wet but I had been walking stiffly for the past few minutes.

"See," Monti snorted almost indignantly.

I could tell he liked the praise although he was just being stubborn.

"We should head to a field," Snow said and lead the way away from the creek. Monti following quickly.

I glanced behind us feeling the shadows the eucalyptus trees casted seeming a bit more eerie for some reason.

"Hurry up you giant snail!" Monti neighed out behind him.

I huffed not happy at being called that and ran up to him giving him an angry bite on the bad leg and he kicked out though I managed to dodge.

"Owww," he almost whined.

"Keep moving you snotty rat," I told him raising my lip to expose my flat but long front teeth as if I were laughing.

He huffed and kept moving.

I could tell Snow had watched the whole interaction with a smug smirk on his white face even though he was looking away.

—-REMEMBER TO VOTE—-

❤️