Chapter 3

GINGER

---

Puddles made the ground muddy and a lot of grass had been trampled, the herd had to keep moving to find good grass to feed them. 

"Ugh... our hoof-prints are showing in the mud," Snow grunted, his tail swishing and his ears flattened. 

"We should head to the creek to disguise our tracks," Monti says pointing towards the forest.

"The creeks flooded, we don't want anyone slipping," Snow reminds Monti. Snow is in his very rare bad mood.

"Well we're not increasing our chances on this wet muck," Monti snorts, he obviously didn't care if he vexed Snow. He was taking it as a leadership opportunity to look better in-front of Copper and Bucky.

"That's why I'm leading you to higher and rocky ground," Snow mutters.

"If we head down to the thicker parts of the forest, the ground wouldn't have washed away as much," Bucky spoke up.

Once again, he was speaking wise and it was the first thing he had said in 2 hours. I looked over my shoulder giving him a kind look as if to silently say 'smart idea'.

"True, but rocks are a safer bet," Snow replies trying to hide the frustration in his voice as to not scare the young foal.

I decided to speak up, "the rocks wouldn't be any better than the creek bed, they would be slippery and not to mention they're up a hill."

I felt guilty for talking back to Snow, he had been nothing but kind to me in the past 2 years I had known him. He was a wise and cunning horse and deserved respect and I didn't want to vex him by talking back to him.

"I'm not in the mood," Snow huffed at me. 

I huffed back at him, he wasn't thinking clearly and I pushed to stand beside him. I didn't know how well this would end for me but I pushed my shoulder into his so he had to stop to regain his footing. 

He flattened his ears and looked up at me, his chest heaving in anger. "I said I'M NOT IN THE MOOD!"

"Snow, calm down," I told him, I was getting scared and my heart was racing but I stood my ground. "Let Bucky lead for today."

I looked back at Bucky and could see he was looking at me with his ears pricked surprised.

"Are you trying to replace me?" Snow almost whined with hurt in his voice. 

"No, but your not your usual self today," I reminded him, my voice shaking. I felt a bit guilty if I made him believe that.

He seemed to look down for a brief moment, I don't think anyone else noticed it but I did. "Come on,"  I tell him. "We can go for a walk to the creek to get a drink and Bucky can lead Monti and Copper down to the thick forest."

Snow hesitated, he was obviously struggling to seem like he still had control. He knew he had already made a fool of himself and then slowly nodded and walked passed me in the direction of the creek.

I gave Bucky a meaningful glance and then hurried to follow Snow.

"Are you okay, Snow?" I ask him once we're out of ear distance from the others.

"Well I..." He took a deep breath. "Its just, there's a lot going on right now."

I agreed with him, he was under a lot of stress as leader. "Yea?" I urged him to continue. Talking about these things often helped.

"Monti's constantly challenging me, two new colts that look up and respect me so I have to maintain my image for them. Not to mention Brumby Hunting Season is coming up and I don't want to lose you," Snow replied.

I looked down, this just proved everyone knew how much danger I was in because I wasn't as fast as everyone else.

I was also reminded of my fear and I just nodded not sure what else to tell Snow.

"I'm sorry," Snow nickered and moved a bit closer to me as we walked. "I shouldn't worry you."

"I've always been worried about that," I replied raising my head trying to seem strong and wise though I was secretly having a panic attack. "Don't focus on that, yea? Its not here yet."

Snow brushed his side against mine and I felt loved in that moment. 

I didn't deserve Snow, he was more a son of Thowra than me. His coat was as white as snow (when it wasn't covered in mud like now), he was tall and swift and cunning. He was a very charismatic leader. 

I stepped back to the side feeling slightly ashamed at the contact. I was just a bland chestnut that couldn't run fast for the life of him.

---REMEMBER TO VOTE---

❤️