Chapter 5

I'm getting into horse genetics: guess what a horse with this Genetic code would look like

"Ee aa Crcr SW/sw"

GINGER

---

Once again, Snow had lead us to a grazing spot closer to Thowra's herd. The absence of Bucky most likely made him want to recruit some more new colts in our little herd.

Once again I saw the same dark grey filly as I had a week ago. She was grazing on the side closest to our herd. 

I could see Snow glancing at her every now and then. 

I glanced around and noticed Thowra wasn't around the herd. I walked over careful to to seem to discomforting to any of the mares. 

"Hello," I nickered to her and she looked up. She had beautiful blue eyes. "I'm Ginger, you are?"

She seemed quite happy to talk and replied in a sweet voice, "I'm Poppy, nice to meet you Ginger. I've seen you around before."

"Me too," I replied.

"I used to be friends with Bucky and Copper, before they left of course. Now no one mentions them, I find it a bit weird," she said.

"Yeah," I looked down remembering Bucky. "Coppers very full of energy but I know Monti... er- that dark bay over there," I gestured to Monti "-enjoys his company."

"That's good," Poppy nodded looking over Gingers shoulder to Monti. "Is that Snow?"

"Oh, you've heard of him?" Ginger asks looking back at Snow. He felt a bit of jealousy at this but tried to push it away so she couldn't see.

"Everyone has, its not every day you see such a pale and swift horse, is it?" Poppy pointed up, her attention refocused on Ginger. 

Ginger nodded then slightly looked down remembering how he was such an 'everyday' sort of horse, there were lots of chestnuts around, lots. 

"He's a great leader," Ginger added then decided to move the conversation away from Snow. "So, your one of Thowra's daughters?"

"I'm actually not," she said with a slight smirk and leaned in lowering her voice which sent butterflies through Ginger. "My mother had an affair with a travelling horse."

"That's a scandal," I lowered my voice and said that in a tease.

She snorted in amusement. "I honestly believe more than just my mother has had an affair with a horse that's not Thowra."

"That's a funny thought," I agreed, I wonder how Thowra would feel if all his mares were going off with unknown stallions instead of him. 

"He may not even be your real father," Poppy mused. 

"That explains a lot," I snickered in reply. It didn't even hurt when Poppy said it like that. 

She and I chuckled. 

We talked for what might have been hours but felt like only a few minutes, snickering, snorting, nickering. By the time we had finished it was only the arrival of Thowra that made me as well as the other colts leave the sight.

I couldn't stop thinking about Poppy. 

I knew I had felt a connection with her, we got along too well not to have.  But she deserved a strong stallion like who Snow will be, not me. 

That thought hurt. 

---

Snow, Monti, Copper and I were racing up the ridge again, me and Copper were last by a few strides.

It was weird how suddenly I had the energy to run as fast as I was now. I kept my eyes ahead and tried as hard as I could to keep my strides even so I didn't lose as much energy.

I could tell I was gaining on Copper, we were next to each other, his strides shorter and more labored. I managed to push past him.

I focused my sites on Monti, leaning my head and neck forward and keeping my hooves light on the ground.

I was gaining on Monti! This was a dream come true. I was a few strides behind him when the race finished because we were at the peak. 

"Well done, Ginger," Snow told me looking proud. 

I puffed out my chest proud I hadn't come dead last this time. Maybe one-day I'll beat Snow!

I stood beside Snow on the peak and looked out over the land enjoying the view I finally saw. 

"I'm going to go bring Bucky back tonight," Snow murmured to me keeping his voice low so Monti and Copper don't hear.

"What?" I looked up, my ears going back slightly. 

"We won't have any new colts for a while," Snow explained. "And Bucky can't be enjoying it so much cramped up in a pen."

I knew Bucky would probably be reluctant to leave the humans, last I saw him he seemed quite comfortable with the man and his son. I did want him back in the group even though I'd rather focus my thoughts on a different horse, example: Poppy? But I didn't say no to Snow. 

"Okay," I nodded. 

He looked happy I had agreed then turned to Monti and Copper. "You two go to the creek, me and Ginger will catch up with you soon."

Then Snow bounded down the slope and I leaped down after him. However, I was nowhere near as fast as him even if I was getting faster.