thirty-nine.

orpheus sat stiffly in his seat besides xavier, eyes boring into ms. thornhill as she spoke. "while most plants reward their pollinators with sweet nectar, many carnivorous varieties turn to sexual trickery or deception" putting the plant that she held aside, ms. thornhill smiled.

from beside him, xavier leaned over to reach into his backpack, letting a small and pained wince out as he placed a book on his desk. this earned orpheus' attention as he glanced over at xavier, who caught his gaze.

"i tweaked my back fencing" xavier muttered, placing his arms over the book as orpheus raised a brow as ms. thornhill continued to speak. 'bullshit' he thought, turning slightly to look at wednesday, who had been watching discreetly. 'definitely' she thought back, eyeing xavier with distrust.

"the orchid produces a pheromone that mimics a female insect, luring the males in." xavier and orpheus shared one last look before turning forward, "now, once the plant is pollinated, what do the male insects get in exchange?" thornhill asked, waiting for an answer.

"nada." bianca said, "just like all the guys n the rave'n" she added, earning her amused chuckles from almost everybody around her.

"okay, okay. i know you're all excited about saturday, which is why i haven't assigned any homework" at her words, everybody sighed in relief, silently celebrating.

"but i do still need volunteers for the decorating committee" as she said this, some students raised their hands, "anybody interested, come and see me up here" she added, and immediately some people began to move.

orpheus stayed put, watching as others stood to go up and volunteer. "you're not gonna volunteer?" asked xavier from beside him, "aren't you pumped about disco balls and spiked punch?" he asked, earning himself a deadpan look from orpheus.

xavier continued on as orpheus stayed silent, staring at him in boredom. "there's even a dj mc blood sucker" he finished, to which orpheus finally had enough and answered.

"i'd rather stick needles in my eyes" he said, earning himself a dry chuckle from xavier, whose eyes looked down at his arms in silence. "i'll probably do that anyway" orpheus added before moving to stand up, wanting to leave the classroom.

wednesday was stood beside her desk, silently waiting for him, watching him and xavier with observant eyes.

"or you could invite someone and have a little fun" xavier added, which prompted orpheus to turn back to him. as xavier bent back over to put his belongings back in his backpack, he grunted in pain.

the right side of his neck was on full display to orpheus, who stared at fresh the scratch marks on his neck. as he sat back up, orpheus continued to stare, before averting his gaze and beginning to stand up.

'you saw that?' he thought, sharing a glance with wednesday, who subtly nodded to answer his question. with that, the twins quickly walked out of the classroom, unsure of what to think about xavier's new and suspicious wounds.

note: gasspppppp omg orpheus saw the scratches on his bfs neck😱