Chapter 12 : Echoes of Normalcy

Chapter 13: Echoes of Normalcy

The days following her conversation with Edmund seemed to stretch endlessly. Aria had expected things to change between them, but instead, they fell back into an odd semblance of normalcy. Edmund was kind and respectful, never pushing the boundaries of their friendship, though there was a quiet understanding between them now-an unspoken agreement that neither of them was ready to address the elephant in the room just yet.

The tournament preparations were in full swing, with banners hanging from the stone walls of Cair Paravel and knights training in the courtyards. It was as if the entire castle had been swept up in the excitement, with nobles arriving from all corners of the realm to witness the grand event. Despite the festivities, Aria couldn't shake the lingering tension, not just between her and Edmund, but within herself.

As the sun began to set one evening, casting a golden hue over the sea beyond the castle, Aria found herself once again wandering the gardens. The scent of blooming roses filled the air, and for a brief moment, she allowed herself to relax, the weight of her emotions lifted by the peaceful surroundings.

She hadn't been alone long when a familiar voice broke the quiet.

"Taking another evening stroll, I see."

Aria turned to see Lucy approaching, her face alight with a cheerful smile. The youngest Pevensie always had a way of lightening the mood, no matter how heavy things felt.

Aria smiled back. "I needed some air. It's been quite the week."

Lucy nodded knowingly, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "I've noticed. You've been a little distant lately. Is everything all right?"

Aria hesitated for a moment, then sighed. There was no point in hiding things from Lucy. Of all the siblings, she had always been the most perceptive.

"I'm fine, really," Aria said, though even she wasn't entirely convinced of her own words. "Things have just been... complicated."

Lucy's smile softened, and she took a seat on a nearby stone bench, gesturing for Aria to join her. "You know you can talk to me, right? I'm not as oblivious as some people think."

Aria laughed softly, sitting beside her. "It's just... Edmund and I. Things have changed between us. I don't know how to explain it."

Lucy's expression grew thoughtful. "You mean the way he looks at you?"

Aria blinked, surprised by the bluntness of the question. "What do you mean?"

Lucy shrugged, her smile returning. "It's obvious. Edmund's always been protective of you, but lately... well, it's different. He cares about you a lot."

Aria felt her cheeks warm at the words, but she couldn't deny that Lucy was right. There was a shift between them-one that was becoming harder to ignore.

"I don't know what to do," Aria admitted quietly, her voice barely above a whisper. "I don't want to lose our friendship, but I don't know how to handle this."

Lucy tilted her head, considering Aria's words. "I think the only way to handle it is to take things one step at a time. Edmund's not the kind to rush into things, and neither are you. Just give it time."

Aria looked down at her hands, her mind racing with thoughts. Lucy made it sound so simple, but Aria knew it wasn't. Not when there was so much at stake-her friendship with Edmund, the delicate balance she had with Peter, and the future of their roles in Narnia.

"I suppose you're right," Aria said, though doubt still lingered in her mind.

"Of course, I'm right," Lucy said with a wink. "Now, how about we head back inside? It's getting chilly, and Susan will be wondering where I've wandered off to."

Aria smiled, feeling a little lighter after their conversation. Lucy had a way of putting things into perspective, and for now, that was enough.

---

Later that night, as the castle settled into quiet, Aria sat by the window in her chambers, looking out over the darkened sea. The moon hung low in the sky, its silver light reflecting off the waves, and for the first time in days, Aria felt a sense of peace.

But it was short-lived.

A knock at the door startled her, and she rose to answer it, expecting one of the maids or perhaps Lucy again. Instead, she found Edmund standing in the doorway, his face serious but calm.

"Edmund," she said, surprised to see him so late. "Is everything all right?"

He nodded, though there was a tension in his posture. "I wanted to talk to you. About what we discussed before."

Aria's heart sank, but she stepped aside to let him in, closing the door behind him. She could sense that whatever he had come to say wasn't something she could brush aside this time.

"I've been thinking a lot about what we talked about," Edmund began, his voice low as he paced the room. "About us."

Aria's breath caught in her throat. She had hoped to avoid this conversation for a while longer, to pretend that everything could remain as it was, but it seemed that wasn't an option anymore.

"I don't want to make things difficult for you," Edmund continued, turning to face her. "But I need to know where we stand."

Aria felt her chest tighten at his words. She hadn't expected him to be so direct, but she knew she couldn't keep avoiding the truth.

"I don't know, Edmund," she said softly, her voice trembling slightly. "I care about you, but I'm not sure I'm ready for things to change."

Edmund studied her for a long moment, his dark eyes filled with a quiet intensity. "I don't want to lose you, Aria. I'm not asking for anything more than what we have right now. But I needed you to know that... well, that I'm here. For whatever you need."

His words were like a lifeline, grounding her in the moment. Despite the uncertainty, despite the confusion swirling inside her, Edmund's steady presence was something she could rely on.

"Thank you," Aria whispered, her voice filled with gratitude.

They stood in silence for a moment, the weight of their conversation hanging between them. Edmund's gaze softened, and he gave her a small, reassuring smile before turning to leave.

As he reached the door, he paused, looking back at her one last time. "Goodnight, Aria."

"Goodnight, Edmund," she replied, her heart heavy but comforted by his words.

And as the door closed behind him, Aria knew that, despite the uncertainty of the future, there was one thing she could count on: Edmund would always be there, no matter what. And for now, that was enough.

*****