VI .

When Huey gets to his house, he goes to his mom's room. "Hey mom, what's up? Where's dad?"

She smiles at him. "Hey. He's still at work. Did you come home last night?"

"Yeah for a little, but then I left again."

"Oh okay. Did you have fun at the party?"

"I, err... well, I dunno. It was fine I guess."

"What happened?" she asks, giving Huey that "what's going on" mom look. "Is that a cane?"

Can't lie to her. But I have no idea how to talk about this. "Just a cool stick I found. Okay well, there was this girl—"

"Whaaat?" She responds, chuckling at him. "Is she cute?"

"No. I mean— yes! But that's not the point!"

She gives a "mhmm" and then asks for her name as Huey feels his phone vibrate. It's Mel.

You coming?

"Melrose. This is her actually. Hey speaking of, we were gonna hang out a little this weekend."

She gives her son the other mom look. He groans.

"Not like that! Just as friends."

"I'm just messin with you boy. How long are you gonna be out? Do her parents know?

"Yeah she's talking to them now. I'm thinking just for the day, but I don't really know. Y'know, spring break and all. I'll let you know if anything changes."

"Where does she live?"

"In the neighborhood actually! Right down the street. She's homeschooled."

"Okay. Well you know, just let me know if anything happens."

"I will. I'll be back soon. Love ya mom."

"I love you too."

They embrace but Huey can't help but to feel regret. Withholding the truth is the same as lying. What if something happens to me? He heads to his room to take a shower and then pack some things before he leaves.

K, Omw.

He starts to head downstairs when his mom calls out and tells him to grab something to eat before he leaves. He walks into the kitchen and grabs an apple then heads out the door to Mel's house.

When he arrives, he knocks on the door. After a few moments, she answers.

"Huey, c'mon in."

"Thanks Mel."

As they go inside, Huey checks out his surroundings. "Hey, nice place ya got here."

"Yeah, I'm sure it's not much different than yours."

"No no no, I would remember having a couch like that. Completely different area."

"Oh whatever" she chuckles as she rolls her eyes. "C'mon, let's head upstairs and figure this shit out."

"Cool, right behind you." he responds as they begin to ascend the stairway.

"Alright, here's my room, mind the mess..." she says as she opens the door. As she grabs her laptop and goes to sit on her bed, Huey casually looks about her room. It is about the same size as his, though her bed is much larger and looks a great deal more comfortable.

Mel walks around the room a bit, approaching each of her plants and saying something to it that Huey can't quite make out. Mostly seems to be greetings and affirmations. As she goes to her bed, he continues to look around and spots various incense, candles, paintings and a guitar among some clutter, albeit not as much as he's seen in other rooms. It feels, smells, and looks quite nice.