nineteen

Elle-

"Yes, yes, yes! You look absolutely stunning! You have to wear that one!" Bay's excited voice bursts through the screen, her joy infectious as I twirl in front of the mirror, revealing the intricacies of my outfit for tonight's date.

"You don't think it's a little too much?" I ask, glancing over my shoulder to catch a glimpse of the back in the mirror's reflection.

The dress, a hidden treasure unearthed from the depths of my local Goodwill, still bore its tags, a testament to its pristine condition. Its elegant, sleeveless silhouette clung to my curves with just the right amount of grace, the high neckline feeling modest—until I recalled the daring plunge of the open back, exposing my shoulders and the delicate curve of my upper back. The hem flirted with my mid-thigh, a length that both thrilled and unnerved me. Countless women wore little black dresses with an effortless confidence, yet I had always held back. The decision to buy this dress felt like an act of rebellion, now overshadowed by the imminent arrival of Xavier, just minutes away.

"Ellie, you look beautiful!" Bay's eyes sparkled with sincerity, her enthusiasm radiating through the screen. "It's not too much; it's just right."

"What if I trip and my dress flies up, and I flash him—and everyone in the restaurant?" The nerves twisted in my stomach like a coiled spring.

"Then you'll probably make his night—and everyone else's," she joked, her laughter dancing through the phone. I shot her a mock glare, but a small smile crept onto my lips despite the anxiety bubbling inside me.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, jolting me from my thoughts and sending my heart racing. "He's here! He's early!" I whispered urgently to Bay, panic swirling around me.

"Have fun! I can't wait to hear all about it tomorrow!" she chirped, her cheerful voice fading as she hung up, leaving me alone with my fluttering nerves.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped back for one last look in the mirror. The dress shimmered under the soft glow of my room's lights, a beacon of confidence that surged through me. I smoothed my hair and summoned all my courage as I made my way to the door, my heart pounding a rapid rhythm.

With a trembling hand, I opened the door, surprised to find Devon standing there. "Devon! What are you doing here?"

He looked me up and down, a frown creasing his brow, instantly making me self-conscious. Realizing I sounded rude, I quickly added, "Sorry, you just surprised me. I was expecting my date."

Embarrassment flickered across his face, and he rubbed the back of his neck, a gesture that hinted at his own nerves. "Oh, yeah, sorry! I forgot about your date. I was just stopping by to see a friend and thought I'd say hi."

I nodded but didn't know how to respond.

"Actually, that's a lie," he confessed, his voice tinged with guilt. "Well, I did stop in to see a friend, but... I'm new to this big brother thing. I was worried about you—safety and all, you know, for a first date."

"Oh." The unexpected concern caught me off guard. I wasn't used to anyone worrying about me, except for Bay.

"I've never had to worry about a little sister before," he continued, scratching his head sheepishly. "I think this new responsibility is messing with my head."

"Devon, that's really sweet of you," I said, touched by his sincerity.

He smiled, but it faded quickly, and he returned to rubbing the back of his neck—definitely an anxious habit. This relationship was so new, and I didn't want to feel responsible for his worries.

"You know, this big brother thing is new for me too. I don't want you to worry. Would you like me to send you a text when I get home?" I offered, hoping to ease the tension.