Seven

<Ellie>

As I packed up the last of my belongings from the apartment, I paused to send a quick, safety text to Bay—a snapshot of Xavier's business card. It was a small gesture, but it gave me a sliver of reassurance. Just in case something happened, she'd know who to blame.

When I stepped outside, Xavier had just ended a call and was slipping his phone into his pocket. He guided me to his sleek black SUV, opening the door with a practiced ease and offering his hand to help me into the high-lifted vehicle. His touch on my elbow was unexpectedly warm and gentle, a comforting contrast to the cool, polished interior of the SUV.

The ride to my new apartment was wrapped in a comforting silence, a rare moment of peace amid my whirlwind of emotions. Through the tinted windows, I watched my view change from the well-worn streets of our old neighborhood to a sleek, more upscale area.The change was striking; while the nicer side of town held a beauty that was undeniable, it did little to ease my anxiety about the longer commute to Tate's school and my job. The thought of waking Tate up earlier each day made me cringe, resting my head back, mentally shaking off the dread. At least we didn't have to stay in the sleazy motel again tonight.

"Not too much farther, everything okay?" Xavier's deep voice cut through the silence, laced with genuine concern.

I turned to him, offering a reassuring smile. "Yes, of course."

He nodded then focused back on the road. I took the opportunity to study him more closely. Stubble was starting to darken his jawline, hinting at the beginnings of a five o'clock shadow. His neck was adorned with intricate black tattoos, extending above the collar of his dress shirt. I found myself curious about the extent of his tattoos. Besides his forearms and neck, what other designs were hidden away? I'd never been particularly attracted to tattoos before, but everything about Xavier Griffin was captivating. He had a presence that made me feel like a teenage girl with her first crush.

I wondered about his personal life. As handsome as he was, I doubt he was single or at the very least had a steady stream of uncomplicated relationships.

As I stole another glance at the handsome man beside me, I noticed a jagged, raised scar partially concealed by his tattoos. It was a striking contrast against the dark ink.

When Xavier stopped at a red light and turned to face me, he caught me staring. "Like what you see?" he asked, a teasing smirk playing at his lips.

Caught off guard, I stammered out an awkward response, my cheeks flushing as I quickly turned to face forward. Relief washed over me when the light turned green.

"It's green," I said, trying to sound casual as I kept my gaze fixed on the road ahead.

Xavier's low, amused chuckle filled the car before he smoothly accelerated. I kept my eyes forward for the rest of the drive, my mind a flurry of thoughts and emotions.

We stopped in front of a parking garage, and Xavier rolled down his window to enter a code into a sleek security panel. The gate lifted with a smooth, almost silent motion, and I couldn't help but marvel at the luxury of the high-end cars lining the garage. The upscale surroundings only heightened my sense of unease causing my chest to tighten. I'd always preferred familiarity, and the unpredictability of my childhood had left me wary of such big shifts. I silently hoped that the renovation of our new apartment would be completed quickly.

We both exited the SUV, and Xavier effortlessly carried my bag. As we walked toward the elevator, he swiped a key card, and the doors opened with a soft, inviting chime. He guided me inside, his large hand resting gently on the small of my back, sending a comforting shiver up my spine. He removed his hand and produced another card from his pocket, tapping it against a panel on the right.

The elevator ride was brief, and when the doors slid open, I stepped into a hallway lined with light gray walls and gleaming marble floors. I followed Xavier as he turned right.

"There are only four apartments on this floor," he said, gesturing to a door at the end of the hall. "You'll be in 6D, the last one on the right." He swiped his key card, and the door swung open, inviting me inside.

As the light flickered on, I was momentarily speechless. "As you can see, it's fully furnished," Xavier said, moving ahead to open doors and inspect rooms with an air of unfamiliarity. "It has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living space."

I stood in awe, trying to absorb the fact that this apartment was at least twice the size of my old one and infinitely more luxurious. The open floor plan of the kitchen and living room created a sense of space, and a large window in the living room bathed the room in a warm, natural glow. I had to resist the urge to pinch myself, as if to confirm that I wasn't dreaming.

A sudden buzzing sound drew my attention back to Xavier. He glanced at his phone, his expression darkening, and then tucked it away. He picked up an envelope from the kitchen table and approached me.

"This envelope contains your key card, Wi-Fi password, my number, and front desk information. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call," he said, though his agitation seemed more directed at the phone call than at me.

His shift in mood made me uneasy. "Okay, thank you so much, Mr. Griffin," I said softly.

He managed a small smile, his demeanor softening. "Please, call me Xavier."

I nodded, grateful for the reassurance. Xavier turned toward the door. "You can enter through the front entrance since you don't have a car."

"Thanks," I replied, but the door had already closed behind him.

I paused for a moment, reflecting on the strange but unexpectedly pleasant turn the day had taken. Bay wasn't going to believe the day I'd had. I pulled out my phone, snapping photos of the apartment and the stunning view before sending them her way. Although she was at work and wouldn't see them until her shift ended, I doubted even the pictures would convince her.

Glancing at the time, I realized I had only an hour and a half before Tate's baseball game. I quickly explored the rest of the apartment, then tucked the key card into my purse and headed out