Nine

<Vince>

The kid had a real talent for baseball. I found myself parked in my car, watching the game, feeling like a creep. It didn't help that my Gucci suit stuck out like a sore thumb at a kids' sporting event. The whole scene felt alien to me, especially since I'd only recently discovered I had a sister. But seeing her and my nephew together yesterday in the elevator shifted something inside me. The way she looked at him—even when it was disapproving—spoke volumes. There was a silent, love there that only a mother could convey.

I understood Tate's blatant disregard for us. My sister was young and beautiful, and perhaps too trusting of those around her. It almost felt like I was violating her privacy just by being there. But the kid? Instant distrust. It made me question what kind of man had been around them to make him so guarded.

From the files Xavier handed over, I knew the boy's father wasn't in the picture. The thought of a young Eleanor, pregnant and alone at fourteen, ignited a fierce anger within me. She was just a child. Tate's birth certificate didn't list a father, and it made me wonder if it was a case of naive young love or if something darker was at play.

I slammed my fist against the steering wheel, not used to this unfiltered anger. I take pride in my ability to stay cool and collected, whether I'm in the courtroom or out. As a defense attorney, I'm often surrounded by less-than-desirable people. If they're guilty, that's not my concern. My job is to sow doubt and prove innocence, and I'm well-compensated for it. But the revelations about Eleanor, coupled with meeting her, stirred something uneasy in my chest.

When Xavier phoned after my meeting with Dad and told me about the break-in at Eleanor's rundown apartment, I was unprepared for the emotion it elicited. I wasn't ready to worry about these two people, family or not, whom I'd never met. Even knowing they were safe and staying at a motel did little to calm my unease

I think he mistook my silence for indifference. He relayed the facts and ended the call. Xavier's never been one for small talk, but since his time overseas, he's been even more detached, even with me.

When he didn't pick up my calls the next day, I was pissed. Xavier often gets caught up in his work, so I knew he'd reach out when he had something useful. But sleep eluded me that night, and I didn't have the energy to fake it for my brothers at our weekly brunch, so I canceled and went in search of answers from Xavier.

Seeing my sister at his building threw me off completely. Watching them leave, I shot a hard look at my best friend.

He met my gaze with a casual shrug.

"Why are they here?" I asked, keeping my voice even, though it was clear I was irritated.

He turned to me with a hint of boredom. "The break-in didn't seem random. It looked personal."

"Why's that?"

He shrugged again. "Nothing was stolen, but the damage was too precise. I'll send over my report."

"So, you had them stay here?"

"The motel was in worse shape than her apartment. I had an empty unit."

Xavier needed to leave for a job and I decided to distract myself with my newest case. I'd spent the remainder of the day going over police reports and interviews.

Another fitful night of sleep and my mind was made up. Calling the lawyer, Mr. Marsden, we deduced a plan to explain the terms of her trust, opening a way for me to tell her who we were to each other.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. I'm not surprised to see that it's from my brothers.

Brothers group

Damon: You alive?

Me: Yeah, why?

Devon: You never cancel Sunday brunch.

Damon: Last time I tried to cancel, you showed up at my place and dragged my hungover a** out, lecturing me the whole time

Me: Something came up.

Damon: That's bulls***. Was it a chick?

Devon: Did you know Dad's back in town?

Me: Yeah, he stopped by the office on Friday.

Damon: Can't believe you blew us off for a chick... she better be hot. Give details.

Devon: He called yesterday, sounded off, and asked us to meet him this week. Do you know what that's about?

Me: Damon, shut up. Devon, I guess you should talk to him.

Devon: Seriously, when you two do this s***, just tell us. We're all adults here.

Me: Just let me know when you decide to meet with Dad.

.....Damon left the group

Devon: k

The rest of the workday flew by. Mondays are always hectic, and I spent a good chunk of it in court. I'm the only one of my brothers who followed in our father's footsteps and went into law. Devon, the calm and collected one, is a sought-after painter; his portraits fetch thousands. Damon, the hothead of the family, works with Xavier, usually handling personal security for high-profile cases.

As for me, I've always been driven to be a lawyer. I thrive on arguing and winning—it's what I enjoy most. Even as a kid, when I'd argue with my parents, my mother would get frustrated and attribute my stubbornness to my father. But I could always see that glint of pride in her eyes, even if it was mixed with irritation

As the workday wrapped up, I checked my email and opened Xavier's report. The document detailed the building's lack of security, how the intruder gained entry, and the extensive damage done. When I clicked on the attachment, a slideshow of images appeared, each one documenting the extensive destruction in Eleanor's apartment. Words like "whore" and "slut" were scrawled across the walls, but what really fueled my anger and disgust was the discovery of bodily fluids on her bed.

It was clear now why Xavier believed the break-in was personal. Unable to stomach any more without risking damage to my laptop, I quickly texted Xavier to find out where Eleanor was.

He replied promptly: "Baseball field—14 N Berk St."

 That's how I ended up sitting outside a kids' baseball game, feeling like some creepy figure from a Dateline special. Since I arrived, Eleanor has been darting around—at the concession stand, working the gate—only pausing to watch her son play. 

Watching their lives from the sidelines only solidified my resolve to bring them into the family. Eleanor had confirmed the appointment with the lawyers for next week. Given my father's shortcomings, Eleanor has been left alone and vulnerable for far too long.