DBC - 8 🥛🎀

POV: Milk

As we arrive back, almost dry from the long walk, we notice a crowd gathered in front of our cottage. We exchange puzzled glances, wondering what's happening.

As the crowd begins to disperse, a man in formal, professional attire turns to face us. I'm so shocked that I can't even form a word.

"Hi there, Ciize," one of the locals calls out, breaking the silence. "I'd like you to meet our newly elected mayor of MC Town, Ms. Tipnaree."

"Nice to meet you, Mayor Tipnaree," she replies humbly, though her expression shows no sign of recognition. Perhaps it's because of the mayor's polished appearance and intellectual look, complete with stylish glasses.

"Damn, Namtan! What are you even doing here?" I wonder to myself, still in shock as I try to process what's really happening.

-----

We tried to talk in private.

"What the heck is going on with you, buddy? I told you to bring the mayor here, not to replace him!" I fumed, glaring at Namtan for planning without even consulting me.

"What could I do? The guy was useless. At least now I can keep an eye on things from the inside, maybe guard you better or something. Besides, I can carry out your orders more efficiently," she argued, trying to justify her impulsive move with her usual tricks.

I could hardly believe what I was hearing. "How did you even manage to get rid of the mayor and take his place? Don't tell me you—" Before I could finish, she cut me off, raising her hands in a calming gesture.

"Relax, relax, Don Panly. Don't let your blood pressure skyrocket. I didn't harm him, I promise. Of course, I've got my ways. You know how it is—money talks." She said it with such pride, as if expecting me to applaud her brilliance, as if her reckless idea to become the mayor was the best thing I could have wished for.

Instead, I slapped her upside the head, hard. "Stupid! I gave you one simple task, and you go and mess it up by making your own plan!"

"Hey, enough with that, will you? You're going to embarrass us—what if that pretty girl sees us arguing?" She gestured toward the cottage, where a few curious eyes were already watching.

I bit my tongue, silenced for now. There was no time for bickering, not with everyone watching and the situation spiraling out of control. 

As much as I hated to admit it, what mattered most was fixing this place. The town was already in shambles, outdated and neglected, and if it came down to it, it would need extreme renovation.

For now, Namtan's antics would have to be dealt with later.

-----

"Everyone had already left, but I wondered, where had my little princess gone? I had been searching for her, but there was no sign of where she might be. Then I heard the faint sound of tiny footsteps. 

I saw Ciize, walking slowly, carrying two buckets of water, one in each hand. But she wasn't heading toward our cottage. Instead, she moved in the opposite direction. I immediately followed, eager to offer my help. Yet before I could catch up, she stopped at another house—old but still sturdy.

There, I saw her speaking with an elderly woman. I wanted to approach them, but I was too shy, so I waited nearby. After a brief conversation and a warm goodbye, Ciize finally noticed me.

"Oh, Milk, you're here! Have you been looking for me?" She smiled so beautifully, despite all the walking she had done, the heavy buckets she had carried. Then I noticed something—both buckets were already empty.

"I was going to help you carry the water," I said, curiosity tinged in my voice, "but why are your buckets empty now?"

"I fetched the water from the well for the old lady," she explained, her tone light and cheerful, no sign of weariness. "She's quite frail now and can't carry them herself, so I help her every morning."

She said this with such ease, so happy to lend a hand to her elderly friend. Truly, she was a beautiful soul—so helpful and selfless.

"You should have told me! I could've helped too," I said, trying to sound proud. "I'm pretty strong, you know." I flexed my arm, showing off my muscles. 

Her soft, angelic laughter rang out, so contagious that I almost laughed with her. But I didn't. I never laugh. I never even smile. Yet with her, maybe one day, I wouldn't be surprised if I did.

She started walking back to the well, but this time, I didn't let her do all the work.

"So, what did you and the mayor talk about?" she asked as we refilled the buckets together.

"The mayor was just welcoming me as a new resident. She mentioned visiting the townspeople to do a survey. It seems like they're planning to renovate the town, to make it more modern."

"Wow, that sounds amazing!" Her eyes lit up with excitement.

"What are you hoping for once the town improves?" I asked.

"I hope the families will have running water, so the elderly won't have to worry about going to the well anymore. You know, sometimes I get sick or too busy with work, and I feel guilty when I can't help them every day."

She had been doing this daily—fetching water for the old people before even starting her own day. What a wonderful person, with such a kind heart and a deep sense of purpose. I was touched by her dedication.

After an hour of delivering water, she finally said,

"Come on, it's time for us to head to the marketplace. I'll treat you to some food, let's also buy you some clothes, something nice. Lucky for you, it's my day off. I can show you around and introduce you to my wonderful friends."

Again, there was no sign of tiredness in her voice, only warmth and enthusiasm. What an amazing person she truly is.