~Chapter 4~

The days turned into weeks, and Bangchan and Seungmin fell into a comfortable routine, balancing their songwriting and classes with growing intimacy. Despite the misunderstandings they had faced, they found solace in each other’s company. Their connection deepened, and the laughter they shared often echoed through the corridors of the university.

However, the reality of life outside their bubble began to seep in. As midterms approached, the stress of schoolwork weighed heavily on both of them. Bangchan found himself buried in assignments, while Seungmin struggled to manage his time between classes, projects, and extracurricular commitments.

One evening, as they sat in the café working on a new song, Seungmin’s phone buzzed incessantly. He glanced at the screen, his expression shifting from relaxed to tense. “It’s my parents,” he muttered, frustration lacing his voice. “They’re still pushing me to focus on my studies and not waste time with music.”

Bangchan reached across the table, placing his hand on Seungmin’s. “You know you can balance both, right? Your passion for music is important.”

Seungmin sighed, pulling his hand away as he leaned back in his chair. “I know, but they don’t see it that way. They think I’m just wasting my time, chasing a dream that won’t pay off.”

The frustration in Seungmin’s voice cut through Bangchan. “That’s unfair. You’re talented, and you have every right to pursue what you love.”

“I wish they could understand that,” Seungmin replied, a hint of sadness creeping into his tone. “It just makes me feel… trapped sometimes.”

Bangchan felt a pang of empathy, wishing he could ease Seungmin’s burden. “You’re not alone in this. I believe in you, and I’m here for you, no matter what.”

Seungmin smiled softly, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. “Thanks, Chan. I just wish it was easier.”

As the evening wore on, they continued working on their song, but a heaviness lingered in the air. Bangchan couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off. Seungmin’s usual spark seemed dimmed, overshadowed by the weight of his family’s expectations.

The next few days passed, and the tension only grew. Seungmin became more withdrawn, often distracted by messages from his parents, which left Bangchan feeling helpless. They would meet to write, but Seungmin seemed lost in his thoughts, his laughter less frequent and his smiles strained.

One afternoon, as they walked through the park, Bangchan finally broke the silence. “Seungmin, you’ve been really distant lately. Is it just the stress of school, or is it something else?”

Seungmin paused, looking up at the cloudy sky. “It’s hard to explain. My parents want me to take a break from music and focus entirely on my studies. They think I’m wasting my time, and it just makes me question everything I’m doing.”

Bangchan felt his heart ache for Seungmin. “You shouldn’t have to choose between your dreams and your family. You deserve to pursue what makes you happy.”

“I know,” Seungmin replied, his voice barely above a whisper. “But sometimes I wonder if they’re right. Maybe I should just focus on a ‘real’ career.”

Bangchan’s frustration flared. “No! You’re more than just a student. You’re an artist, and you have a voice that deserves to be heard. Don’t let anyone take that away from you.”

Seungmin met his gaze, eyes filled with uncertainty. “It’s just so hard, Chan. I feel like I’m being pulled in two different directions, and I don’t know how to make everyone happy.”

“Sometimes, you can’t please everyone,” Bangchan said softly, stepping closer to Seungmin. “You have to live for yourself. Do what you love, and the rest will fall into place. I’ll support you, no matter what.”

Seungmin looked away, swallowing hard. “What if I fail? What if I’m not good enough?”

Bangchan felt the weight of those words. “Failure is a part of life. It doesn’t define you. What matters is that you tried. And even if you stumble, I’ll be right there to pick you up.”

Seungmin sighed, his expression pained. “I wish I had your confidence.”

Bangchan placed a reassuring hand on Seungmin’s shoulder. “You have it within you. You just need to believe it. You’re stronger than you think.”

Seungmin took a deep breath, the tension in his shoulders easing slightly. “Thanks, Chan. I needed to hear that.”

“Anytime,” Bangchan replied, a small smile breaking through the heaviness. “Now, let’s get back to our song. We can’t let life get in the way of our music, right?”

They returned to their writing, but the conversation lingered in the back of their minds, an unspoken promise to support each other through the challenges ahead. However, the distance between them hadn’t completely vanished.

As the week progressed, Bangchan noticed that Seungmin was spending more time with Jeongin again, often meeting him after classes. Although Bangchan understood that Seungmin needed friends to lean on, the pang of jealousy returned, this time sharper than before.

One evening, Bangchan caught Seungmin laughing with Jeongin in the campus courtyard. The sight stirred an uncomfortable knot in his stomach. It was as if he was witnessing something he had hoped would remain untainted. He turned away, the smile on his face faltering.

Seungmin, sensing the shift, hurried to catch up with Bangchan. “Hey, I didn’t see you there! I was just talking with Jeongin about our project.”

“Yeah, I saw,” Bangchan replied, trying to keep his tone light but failing. “You seem really close with him.”

Seungmin frowned, confusion mingling with concern. “We’re just friends, Chan. He’s been helping me with classwork.”

“Right,” Bangchan said, the bitterness creeping into his voice. “Just friends.”

Seungmin crossed his arms, frustration evident. “Are you seriously upset about this? I thought we were past the jealousy thing.”

“It’s not about jealousy,” Bangchan retorted, anger bubbling beneath the surface. “It’s just—” He took a deep breath, trying to steady himself. “I don’t want to lose you to someone else.”

“You’re not going to lose me!” Seungmin replied, voice rising. “You have to trust me!”

“Trust is earned,” Bangchan snapped, his emotions spilling over. “And right now, it feels like you’re slipping away from me.”

The silence that followed was heavy and fraught with unspoken words. Seungmin stepped back, hurt flashing across his face. “You think I want to leave? You think I’d choose anyone over you?”

Bangchan clenched his jaw, struggling with the storm of emotions raging inside him. “It just feels like I’m not enough for you anymore.”

With that, Seungmin turned away, the pain of their argument hanging thick in the air. Bangchan felt a sense of regret wash over him, realizing he had crossed a line he didn’t intend to.

As Seungmin walked away, Bangchan’s heart sank. The distance between them, once just a fleeting feeling, now felt like an insurmountable chasm.

---

The Next Morning

Bangchan woke up feeling like a storm cloud hovered above him. The tension from the previous night hung heavy in his heart. He picked up his phone, contemplating whether to reach out to Seungmin, but hesitated.

What if they didn’t resolve this? What if their relationship couldn’t survive the weight of doubt?

He tossed his phone aside and got ready for the day, determined to talk to Seungmin, to fix what had been broken. But as he made his way to class, a sinking feeling gnawed at him.

Would they be able to find their way back to each other?