chapter 2

Alex's Point of View

Once school was over, I thought about running home because it would be quicker than having to drive Michael home. But instead of waiting in the car like I usually did after school, I went to his locker where I knew he would be so I could drag him out by his hair. And like any other day, there he was at his locker, but today instead of having a small crowd of his friends crowd around him, there was only one person: Luke Hemmings.

I didn't care that Luke was there, we use to be really good friends in middle school but not anymore. I guess we just grew apart? I don't know. Or maybe it was the huge crush I had on him that made me distance me from him.

After taking a deep breath, I just walked up to them, looked straight into Michael's eyes and said "Can you hurry up? Your ride was trying to leave 5 minutes ago." He just looked at me before talking, "Don't worry about it, Luke is going to give me a lift home". After I heard that, it was my ticket out, all wanted to do was go home and get ready for the party and pick up my best friend, Ashley, also known as Halsey. Halsey wasn't in school today but she promised me she would come to the party with me. Without out her there, I'd be the 'loser chick that came to a party by herself'.

As soon as I got home, I went up to my room and called her. I tried 2 times until she finally picked up. "Dude, when am I picking you up for the party?" I said.

"No hello, or hi? Nothing? Wow I feel loved but I don't know, when does it start?"

"It starts at 9 but we have to make an entrance so we should get there at like 9:45"

"Dude, when does this party end?"

"I don't know, Michael usually sneaks in at like 4 in the morning." She started to get quieter, "Guess I'm staying at your house then but okay. I'll come over right now and we can get ready together".

After hanging up I realized I had no idea what I was going to wear. Halsey lives a couple blocks down so it's easy for her to come to my house. She was probably walking her so I had a little time to try and figure it out without her. I just decided on wearing a silver dress that I've only wore once, and my hair was going to be down wavy so all I had to do was comb it out. And to finish off the outfit, I wore a couple rings on my fingers and I wore black stilettos.

When Halsey finally got to my house she was just wearing a cute crop top and some black jeans, but it was her signature look so I didn't expect anything else. She wore it everywhere: school, church, weddings, anywhere she went. When she came it was so much earlier than 9:45. We decided to just go downstairs and watch some TV. We just sat downstairs watching reruns of Gilmore Girls when Michael walked downstairs. When he got down all the steps he saw Halsey. And let's just say that for the past 5 years that Halsey has been my best friend, he has had a not-so-secret crush on her and it's super weird.

"What do you want Michael?" I said because it was getting awkward having him look at Halsey like that.

"Oh um nothing I'm looking for Danny." Michael always plays the little brother card when Halsey is around because it makes him seem like a better person, but Halsey is too smart to fall for him.

"Not sure, probably upstairs." I heard Halsey, the first time I've heard her say anything to him that wasn't 'excuse me' or 'thanks'.

"Cool thanks" was his response as he slowly walked up the stairs, hoping we would stop him and ask him to join us but we didn't.

I called up to him "We'll see you tonight, I guess", and he just responded with an OK.

And before we knew it, me and Halsey were in the car on our way to probably the biggest party of the year: Calum Hood's party.