Chapter 15

Mrs Kemper has a talent. A talent which involves pushing my buttons. From the moment I stepped foot into the class, my first day back, I just knew it was going to be strenuous. I can feel my powers underneath my skin begging to be let out. The control I somewhat figured out last night is a lot harder to figure out today, especially with her eyes boring into me like she could see every crack in my control. It was slipping.

She didn't waste time.

"Adira," she called out, loud enough for everyone to turn their heads. I kept my mouth shut, biting back the urge to snap. I wasn't going to give her the satisfaction. The last thing I needed was to set her off, especially with the anxiety swirling inside me like a storm. My hands shook as I pulled out the last sheet of work Coral had given me while I was bedridden, ignoring Mrs. Kemper's gaze.

Just breathe, I reminded myself, the words looping through my mind like a mantra. My powers pressed against the edges of my control, vibrating in my veins like live wires. Every time I blinked, I saw those swirling colours again—chaotic and bright—flashing behind my eyelids, building into a wall around me. Don't let it out.

Don't lose control.

I'm still going over everything Dorothy told me last night. The bitter taste of pain and her sorrows clinging to me like bricks tied around my ankles and, knowing now how much of Hiraeth is fabricated, is threatening to tear me apart. I can't look at anyone without suspicion, the unease of being discovered eating me alive, like I'm just waiting for someone to point me out "FREAK, FREAK" "

I stare down at my desk, pretending I'm not in a full-blown panic, pretending Mrs. Kemper's glares aren't making my skin crawl. Just a few more minutes.

"Alright, everyone, that concludes today's class. Please make sure to complete the assigned work," Mrs. Kemper announced, her voice dragging me back into the present. I hadn't even realized I'd closed my eyes for so long.

"Hey, you okay? You have spaced the entire class," Coral asks, appearing beside me.

"It's because I was. Today is proving to be a lot more difficult than I thought. I feel unsettled. My skin is crawling."

I told them everything Dorothy told me after I finished crying. I'm glad they are caught up. I don't feel so alone. I'm hanging onto them as if they are an anchor. Making sure not to grasp the energy that's buzzing around them, I found out last night that their energy, when mixed with mine, would cause mine to amplify. The Nook had to be repaired so many times. As we made our way toward the door, weaving through desks, I allowed myself a small breath of relief. The exit was in sight.

"Adira, a moment," Mrs. Kemper barked.

I froze. Of course, she'd noticed. Perfect. Just what I need.

I gave Coral a tight smile, rolling my eyes as if it was no big deal. "I'll wait outside," she whispered, glancing at Mrs. Kemper before slipping out of the room.

The temperature seemed to drop ten degrees as the door clicked shut behind Coral. The air around Mrs. Kemper felt thick and suffocating, and I had to force myself to unclench my fists. My palms were slick with sweat.

"Yes?" I approached her desk, plastering on the most convincing smile I could manage.

Without a word, she handed me a worksheet—the one I'd handed in earlier, but now it was blank. I stared at it, confusion gnawing at me. "What's this?"

"I want you to redo it," she said flatly.

I blinked. She can't be serious.

"Why?" I forced the word out, my voice a low rasp, flames licking the back of my throat. Keep it together. Just breathe.