Chapter 26

Coral

Cieran flashes me the brightest smile as he throws the car into park.

"I'm so excited for you to see what I have planned," he says, his grin stretching from ear to ear. Heat floods my cheeks, and I can't help the shy smile that tugs at my lips.

He hops out, sprinting around to my side, opening the door with a playful bow. It's so over-the-top that I giggle despite myself.

As Cieran leads me toward the restaurant—one that looks way out of my price range—I feel a buzz in my pocket. My phone. I glance down to see Adira's name and picture lighting up the screen.

I give it a quick peek

I hesitate for a second, glancing at Cieran, who's already holding the door open. Should I answer? It's just one call.

But then the ringing stops and my phone vibrates again—

Three Missed Calls from Adira.

A knot forms in my stomach.

Just as I'm about to hit the callback button, my phone buzzes once more. Her contact popping back up.

"Hey." My voice comes out more anxious than I intended. I nod at Cieran, gesturing for him to go ahead without me, but he closes the restaurant's door, shoving his hands in his pockets. Giving me a curious look.

"Are you alright?" Adira's voice is sharp, almost frantic. The urgency in her tone sends a cold wave down my spine, freezing me in place.

"What? Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be? Is everything alright with you?" I ask, my stomach churning.

"No, not really—" She cuts herself off abruptly. There's a loud shuffle on her end, followed by a harsh crack, then silence.

"Adira?" My voice trembles as I press the phone tighter against my ear. The line is dead.

Fear tightens my chest.

"Cieran!" I call out, my voice breaking. Panic claws at my throat.

He turns immediately, concern washing over his face as he rushes toward me. "Coral, you're pale. What happened?"

I open my mouth to respond, but suddenly, the world tilts. A wave of dizziness slams into me. My knees buckle.

"I—I don't—" I can't finish the thought. The world around me feels distant, like it's slipping out of my grasp. The edges of my vision blur, narrowing to a single point.

I can't breathe.

Everything inside me unravels at once. My body feels heavy, too heavy to hold up. I can feel all control slipping away and I'm falling like a rock to the ground. The last thing I see is Cieran running for me.

I wake up to a thick, rancid smell—like damp rot and stale sweat—clogging my nose, making my stomach churn. The room is dimly lit, cast in a sickly yellow glow from a single, flickering bulb. Everything around me feels rundown, dirty. The walls are lined with grimy, peeling wallpaper that curls at the edges, revealing cracks in the plaster. It's freezing, the air damp and biting against my skin. The bed beneath me is stiff, the thin mattress offering no comfort, each spring digging into my back.

I push myself up, my body groaning in protest, and stumble into the corner, hugging my knees to my chest. The cold seeps into my bones, my breath shallow as panic claws at my throat.

Where the hell am I?!

My hands shake uncontrollably, and my heart races, pounding like a drum against my ribcage. I squeeze my eyes shut and force myself to breathe, to calm the rush of fear threatening to suffocate me.