Chapter 9

Eight days. I've been stuck in bed for eight long days. My body screams in pain, every movement like shards of glass grinding against my bones. I shiver uncontrollably, muscles constantly tense, while fire rages inside me. I can't sleep, not even a wink no matter how tired I am- I'm beyond exhausted—maybe it's fear of the nightmares or my spirit fraying apart.

Blood has been running from my nose relentlessly, like a leaking faucet. Each day it gets worse, each day I get worse, and to top it all; my powers explode from me with no warning constantly. It's been a stressful week.

But hey, at least I'm still passing grade twelve. Corals devoted herself to keeping me caught up, 110% and even convinced Mrs. Kemper to allow me to do the tests I missed at home.

Nolan and Coral started taking turns sleeping over to stay with me during the weeks. Sometimes they both slept over. Arguing that I didn't need surveillance was pointless - but I also didn't try very hard to stop them, either. I don't have the energy. Instead, I made them promise not to skip school to stay with me. I don't want to be the only one out of the three of us graduating and for it to be my fault; I don't think I would forgive myself.

I haven't told them about the Book and the drawings it showed me. I don't even want to remember. My heart sinks like a rock just thinking about it.

I'm lying next to Coral, her red hair loose and everywhere, taking up most of the bed. Nolan is sleeping at the end of the bed, which is brave since Coral kicks in her sleep, and it's not a light kick either.

I've been trying for hours to fall asleep or even get remotely comfortable enough to relax, but my body won't cooperate. It feels like it's protesting. I sit up slowly, but it doesn't help.

I feel a surge of warmth and tingles, a feeling I'm becoming familiar with as my powers rush up my arms and throughout my upper body. The air rings with a harsh frequency. Then, another bulb from the lamp beside me pops, making me jump, and as a result, the entire lamp flies across the room and smashes against the door. "Shit," I mutter as I bury my face in my hands, while Nolan and Coral snap up.

"I'm sorry," I apologize for the tenth time for breaking a lamp. This one is the last in the house and every time my powers show themselves. I feel warm liquid run from my nose, slipping into my mouth with a salty metallic taste. Cupping my nose, I get up and hang my head over the garbage we brought in from the bathroom for this reason. I let the blood run so I could remove my hands without making a terrible mess.

I feel a hand rubbing circles on my back, and my hair gets pulled back into a ponytail.

"Hang in there. Coral is getting more paper towels," Nolan says in his husky morning voice, gesturing to the empty roll in his hand. "And before you even say it, we needed to be up anyway, so don't blame yourself."

"Got it! I got it. It's our last roll. I'll pick up some on my way back later." Here, she shoves a load of paper towels under my nose. Taking it from her, I pinch my nose and look up to the ceiling before muffling a "Thank you."

They led me backwards to sit on the bed.

"What time is it?" I ask as I feel Nolan's head drop on my shoulder. His curly hair tickles my neck.

"Coral? What time is it?" Nolan asks, half asleep.

"We gotta go in a few minutes, so get dressed while I sweep up this glass."

"Cor I can-"

"You can stay right where you are," she calls, leaving the room, giving me a stern look as she goes.

Nolan grumbles before his head lifts off my shoulder. "How are you now?"

"I think it's just about done." I pull the paper away from my nose and, sure enough, the stream has stopped.