Chapter 16

Branches reach out like grasping claws, descending closer. Panic surges in my stomach, freezing me in place. For a split second, I can't move, can't think — I throw myself forward, adrenaline fuelling my flight. My heart pounds in my ears as I barely clear the danger, the massive tree slamming into the ground behind me. I turn, breathless and shaky, staring at it. It could've flattened me—turned me into a human pancake.

My body buzzes with power, but at least it's stopped destroying the area. I push myself up on trembling legs, moving only possibly due to the adrenaline mixing with my powers. Looking around, I take in the wreckage. Grey skies loom overhead, and the ground beneath me shattered, splintered—unnatural for Hiraeth Meadows. As far as I know, this town has never experienced an earthquake but the state of this forest, What I have done. It's almost indistinguishable.

Guilt seeps into me like poison, worsening when I spot Nolan and Coral in the distance, their faces pale with terror. Neither seems hurt, but they easily could've been. The thought makes me sick.

"Are you okay?" Nolan's voice pulls me back, his concern pulling at me. But I look at him. His face is a mess—cuts, bruises, and dried blood marking his skin like battle scars. He's asking if I'm okay.

"Are you hurt?" He asks, leaving Coral's side, who still is frozen in shock, How can he ask me if I'm okay and If I'm hurt when his face looks the way it does and probably feels even worse?

"Am I okay?" My voice sounds colder than I expect as I meet his worried gaze.

"Look at you." I'm on edge, overwhelmed by everything, my tone biting before I can stop it.

"What was that?" I snap just as he's close enough, his hands hovering over my shoulders, not quite touching. He's careful with me, always so damn careful, and I don't know why it makes me angry. Maybe it's because the look in his eyes that I've never seen before scared me.

"Me?"

"Yes," I shout back. Why am I so annoyed?

"What are you talking about? I don't understand." He asks, confused.

"Really Nolan? You have to ask!"

"Yeah, I'm not the one who nearly got crushed by a gigantic tree." Nolan retorts, worried.

"Since when do you get into fights?" I glare, the image of him being punched in the face playing in my head mixed with the sick knowledge that most of the cuts on his face weren't from a fist, but from metal finger cuffs.

Realization dawns on his face, followed quickly by defensiveness. "And since when do you try to kill people?" he shoots back. His words sting because deep down, I know there's truth in them.

"I wasn't—I wouldn't—" I stumble over my words, guilt twisting in my gut. Would I have? The rage I felt back then... I lost control completely. Replaced by anger. Was I going to kill him?

"I saw you, Adira. Don't get me wrong, that prick deserves whatever he gets. But he's not worth you losing yourself." Nolan stresses.

"Who is that guy anyway" I ask, ignoring the guilt eating at me. I need the focus off me and the things I don't want to admit.

"It doesn't matter," He mutters, turning away.

"Someone who doesn't matter doesn't get on your nerves. He was hitting buttons, Nolan. there's definitely a past there." I hiss.

"I don't want to talk about it." His tone is sharp, cutting through the air like a whip.

"Seriously?" I challenge back. My anger is burning my skin.

"You wouldn't understand,"

"Try me." I challenge back.

Coral, who's been silent this whole time, suddenly steps forward, her voice steady but firm. "Both of you, stop. This isn't helping." She looks between us, exasperated. "You're just tearing into each other for no reason." Nolan glares at her, huffing. Then he clenches his fists, turns away and starts making his way through the forest toward the school.