Chapter 13

Collectively, Bri and I carry back all the little notebooks to the storefront. Bri told me normally she'd be hesitant because although The Nook rarely gets any visitors, we never know who'll walk through the doors unexpectedly.

Apparently, there have been routine checks in the past to make sure The Nooks 'new owner' weren't harbouring abilities or holding any books on past events, or magic. She said The Nook and a couple of homes are all that's left over after the second 'Tragedy' but she wouldn't tell me more, just kept saying; all in time, and she definitely won't tell me what she's stressing about.

We make it back into the backroom, the secret door closing behind us. We carefully make our way through the maze of books. Bri grabs the book that holds the worn paper she passes. She definitely juggles books more because she doesn't even struggle.

The moment Coral sees us walk into the store, she snaps up, which in turn catches Nolan's attention and he follows suit, his blue eyes staring intently into me.

Coral does a head-to-toe look over, getting caught up by my now-healed wrist. "Holy shit, Adira," Coral exclaims, her astonishment clear, "Your wrist."

It's only when I finally put down the little notebooks that I fully acknowledge her.

They were about to slip out of my grasp, so I hurriedly placed them on the table that divides the couch where I woke up and the sofa where Nolan had been sitting earlier. With my hands free, I give my wrist a gentle squeeze and twist. The swelling and redness have subsided, and it's getting better with each passing minute.

Despite the stiffness, I can feel my range of motion slowly returning.

Bri deposits her books on the table and moves quickly to lock the doors, not having to worry about pulling the blinds down due to the large plywood in place of the window.

Sucking in a deep breath once finished. The sudden quiet is almost deafening, replaced by an intense awareness of my surroundings. The air seems to hum with energy, vibrations tingling through my skin. Every sound is amplified, every sensation magnified, and it's overwhelming.

My limbs feel like limp noodles as I attempt to sit down. The room spins violently, and I have to close my eyes, trying to steady myself. The dizziness is disorienting,

I try to grow my roots out, but my power overtakes my tree, snapping it right in half.

Buzzing in the back of my mind, like a frequency I can't tune out. I can feel the vibrations of the clock on the wall, the lights on the ceiling, the faint hum of the power lines outside, and even the rhythmic thudding of everyone's heart, plus an extra one I can't place.

Nolan grabs my wrist tentatively, helping me down to the couch, noticing my sudden struggle to contain myself. My breathing picks up. I slam my eyes shut, imagining my small broken twig. It's fragile, but it's all I have.

Please, The Nook may be able to rebuild, but Bridgid, Coral and Nolan cannot.

I imagine the vibrant green plant regrowing, its tender shoots sprouting from the rich soil, its roots spreading wide and embracing the earth. But each time it's snapped, the sound of the breaking stems echoes in my ears, a disheartening reminder of its fragility. Willing it to stand upright isn't working anymore, not like it used to be.

I can feel the humming energy pulsating underneath my skin, a tingling sensation that demands release, and I struggle to contain it. It feels like a thousand tiny ants crawling beneath my flesh, their persistent itch intensifying with each passing moment.

A gentle, rhythmic caress brushes against my back, as if a phantom hand is tenderly stroking me. But even this comforting touch slips through my grasp, fleeting and elusive.