chapter 1 - unknown place.

Beginning After the End

Hello!

I am Luna, or rather Mary in this life. At first, it may seem very strange, but I have become a character in a novel. How astonishing! People can really experience such things, even in life, or rather in death. The last thing I remember is reading that novel, which put me in a bad mood for a week...

Here I am now, sitting in the embrace of this man who gazes at my face with eyes filled with confusion and fear, devoid of hope. His pale skin is ashen, and he holds me weakly, his legs trembling yet somehow steadfast under the weight he bears. The wait has exhausted him, leaving him physically and mentally unwell. His words are fragmented, and I struggle to comprehend them. He feels like a lifeless body, waiting for a glimmer of hope from me.

“Mary...”
Finally, he parted his lips, his words filled with longing and nostalgia.

“Mary, do you remember me?”
He uttered the words hesitantly, afraid of what his heart might be telling him.

In the novel, the real Mary did not recognize this person; her father—the man who sacrificed himself to protect her—who thought of her day and night, never straying from his mind. I didn't know how I arrived here or why I was present. I couldn't think clearly or comprehend the situation. I found myself staring at him blankly, unable to utter the word every father dreams of hearing from his child. I tried—or rather, I didn’t want to say it. I didn’t know if it was selfishness or foolishness on my part, but I preferred silence over voicing it. I knew I needed to say it to give him even a sliver of hope, but hope for what? He would soon die; there was no need for that. His eyes interrupted my thoughts, suddenly glistening with tears, the eyes that had lost the spark of longing and had become desperate from waiting too long in the darkness of the night. In that moment, I understood why the real Mary couldn’t say it; how could I know the feeling of having a family when I was orphaned after all?

I remained silent because it was the only choice I had.

His whole body trembled as he held me tightly, his teeth making loud clattering sounds near my ear. He remained in that position until the time to leave arrived. Then he handed me his journal, which he had written during his time in prison. Before the nurse took me away, she whispered in my ear,
“Please! Don’t forget me!!” in a voice choked with tears.

He tried to stay strong and not let his daughter see his frail state, but I knew, even without him saying a word, I understood the difficulties he had endured and the state he was in. Upon reaching the door, I turned to look at him one last time. I saw him gazing at me with love and longing. Sadness almost overwhelmed me, and I said,
“Goodbye.”

I knew he had loved his daughter more than life itself, and then I turned away.

On my way, I hesitated to ask the nurse, but I gathered my strength and asked,
“What time is it now?”

She answered me, astonished still lingering on her face as she looked at me, trying to hide a glance of pity.
“Yes, my little lady, I think it’s three o’clock now.”

“Oh, then I have one hour left.”

“Excuse me!?”

“Nothing, just let’s get out of this place.”

“Um, my little lady, I shouldn’t intervene, but did you really not recognize that person?”

I hesitated to answer, and another lie escaped my lips.
“No, why? Is he someone I should know?”

“No, I just wanted to ask you; I’m sorry for my rudeness.”

I avoided looking at her, but I knew she was trying to hold back her tears as her hands continued to tremble while holding my small hands.

Pity for the lady who became fatherless and soon would be without a mother or family.
But it’s alright; soon I’ll return home when this ridiculous novel ends.