chapter 2 -Reality or Fantasy

Imagination is merely a maze that helps us forget the pain of the day. But if we lose our way, the maze consumes our emotions"

This dark, long path has seen many pass through-both criminals and innocent souls sentenced to death. The angry crowds screamed, eager to see blood, to see the head of this man-Mary's father-who had endured every form of physical and mental torture for five weeks and six days.

The silence spread across the place. Ah, the story has ended. I felt a deep emptiness, unsure if I was in shock from the imaginary dream I had been living or if my soul had left me. Lost in thought, I muttered to myself, 'Maybe it would've been better if I had lost my job rather than waking up as three-year-old Mary.' Suddenly, the shouts of the crowd jolted me back to reality.

I followed the nanny, who kept glancing at me to check if I was crying or frightened by the prison atmosphere. She didn't realize that at this age, nothing could shake me. I walked with her like a lifeless body, moving wherever she pushed me, even if it were into a flowing river, I wouldn't have noticed.

The streets were dark, filled with homeless people scattered everywhere. The powerful beat the orphans, afraid their clothes would get dirty. Markets spread like ants, and people scrambled to buy the cheapest ingredients. In a moment of reflection, I felt as if I had returned to my homeland. I couldn't tell if it was nostalgia or fear of the fate that awaited me.

This country was living through its darkest times. The current emperor, Emperor Celis, was a tyrant who only cared about nobles and aristocrats. He completely ignored the poor neighborhoods and imposed cruel, unreasonable taxes on traders and the working class, while the nobles grew stronger in power. Even his wife, Empress Calyx, was notorious for her extravagance, buying jewelry and hosting lavish balls with budgets that could feed three poor districts. Conditions didn't improve, not even slightly; they only worsened year after year.

After a long ride in the carriage, with my bones shaking at every bump, we finally stopped. In front of me was a large iron gate adorned with many carvings, leading to a long entrance and a space larger than anything I had ever seen in my life. Another grand door loomed ahead, symbolizing the respect and dignity Mary's family had once held. There were so many rooms, I couldn't even find words to describe their beauty.

The maid led me to a room at the end of a hallway filled with portraits like the ones I had only seen in movies. I never imagined I would see them in real life. As the door opened, my attention was immediately drawn to a simple, yet beautifully crafted vase. It looked as if it belonged in a heritage museum.

How absurd-a museum filled with things no one ever cared about. In the corner of the room stood a woman whose youth had long been eaten away by time. Her skin had wrinkled from years of exhaustion, yet she smiled as if she had been waiting for this moment for ages-the moment of farewell. Tears shimmered in her eyes, mourning the loss of her only son, but her smile hinted at the reunion with him. She gestured for me to come closer and whispered in a soft voice, 'I see my granddaughter has joined her father. I hope she takes care of her body and her mother.'

I was stunned by what she said. What was happening? How did she know I wasn't her granddaughter? Was this truly not a dream? Is this like the stories I used to read?

She moved closer and hugged me, whispering again, 'My dear, life here is hard, and I know that everything will change for you. I've prayed night and day to find a replacement for my granddaughter, who lost her way and followed the darkness. Despite her young age, they didn't leave her alone. After long nights of regret and sorrow, the ruler finally granted mercy. I came to you after enduring so much pain and found the purest girl who deserves love and won't be led astray by the darkness. I am sorry that I have nothing to offer you as a thank-you. Please take care of yourself and your mother, who fell ill from grieving over her husband and daughter... cough cough... my time is up... your story begins now... Be Mary... and take care of her family... I apologize for this selfish request... but I hope you can fulfill this old woman's last wish.'

I didn't know what to say or what I should do.

'I don't understand. Who am I, then? Am I just a servant to fulfill your requests? What makes you think I will agree to this?'

'I'm sorry, my dear,' she said, lowering her eyes slowly with pity. 'I know I've done something unforgivable, but when I found you lifeless at first, I couldn't stop my emotions, which wanted to save my granddaughter from the darkness. I'm not asking for your forgiveness, nor can I explain everything right now, for I have used up all my strength and have only a few moments left.' She gently patted my back and then lay down, gazing out of the window. 'Take care of your mother now, Mary, and take care of yourself. I will be watching over you, and know that I love you too.'

I didn't understand a thing she was saying and rushed to find Mary's room, locking myself inside."