Chapter 5-A new beginning.

Maybe fantasy is just another expression of reality. Even fleeting happiness comes to an end, but life never stops. Our imagination is merely another reflection of reality, and it doesn't have to be perfect happiness.

Mary and her mother moved to the poor district after being expelled from their estate. The count's wealth had been taken by Mary's grandmother's family after her death. It was a place unfamiliar to Elizabeth, but Mary had long experience with street life and eating from discarded garbage.

"My daughter, I'm sorry, this is all I could provide for now."

The house was old, dark, and scary inside, with only one window on the upper floor. It couldn't even be called a house-it was more like a stable for animals, with one large bed for two.

"Why are you apologizing, mother? Look, at least we're not sleeping on the floor, and I like sleeping next to you."

"Oh, I don't know what I did in my life to deserve a daughter like you."

"Maybe because your cooking is delicious."

Elizabeth laughed, "I guess so. Come on, let's clean up the place."

They couldn't bring all their clothes, as they were only allowed to take one dress each. So, they brought warm clothes to prepare for the coming cold, as only a month was left before summer ended and autumn winds would begin.

"We'll need a lot of ingredients to make dinner," Elizabeth said to her daughter.

"Mom, why don't we just buy the basics, like ingredients for soup, such as potatoes? That way, we can save a little money for other necessities."

"You're right. I didn't think of that. Let's go buy potatoes first."

As Elizabeth and Mary walked to the market, Mary looked around, checking her mother's reaction.

(The place is quiet compared to my homeland. It's so different from the count's estate. My mom won't last long here.)

"Mom!"

"Yes?"

"Look, there's a store selling medicine. Why don't we go ask about your medicine?"

"No need for that. I brought enough with me. The most important thing now is to find food."

I knew she was lying, but I couldn't insist, or she would become suspicious. I had to be careful.

"I think this is enough, Mary. Good thinking. I guess you've gotten used to living here more than your mother. That's why I will work hard so you won't have to suffer alone."

"Mom, all I want right now is to see your smile. You don't have to work so hard."

"When did my beautiful girl grow up...ugh..."

"Mom, are you okay? Get up quickly."

"My back hurts... the money, where is the money?"

"I think that man who bumped into you took the money."

"Thief! Thief, catch him..."

Mary interrupted, covering her mother's mouth with her small hands.

"Mom, don't shout. They won't do anything. Let's go home quickly before night falls. I heard the soldiers talking about bandits being nearby."

"Yes, wait, I'll get up. Let's go before it gets dark."

Elizabeth endured the pain as she looked at her daughter, who was forced to grow up overnight.

After they got home, they locked the door tightly and lit a single candle so Elizabeth could cook.

"Mom, hurry, I'm hungry."

"I'm almost done, just a little longer."

"Mmm, delicious soup!"

"Do you like it? Eat a lot. I'm full just from cooking."

"No, mom, you have to eat too."

Mary picked up the spoon, which her small fingers could barely hold, and began feeding her mother. This trick wouldn't fool a girl who was 24 years old on the inside.

"Okay, now I'm really full. Come on, eat so you can grow big."

"You too, mom, you need to eat so we can stay together forever."

Elizabeth smiled, proud of her daughter.

"Mom, show me your hands."

"My hands? Why?"

"Just do it, come on."

Elizabeth stretched out her hands, and Mary applied ointment to them.

"Mom, you need to take care of your beautiful hands, okay? I love them so much."

Mary blew on her mother's hands and kissed them, making Elizabeth hug her tightly. Afterward, they went to bed to sleep.

"Mom, you smell so nice."

"Not as nice as you. You know, when you were little, the first thing your father would do when he came home from work was give you a long hug so he could smell your scent."

"Really? I don't remember that."

Of course, I remember. After meeting my grandmother in that dream, all of Mary's memories came flooding back. They were a happy family. I don't know why they had to suffer like this.

"Of course, then he would come to me, but after you were born, I became second place, haha."

"That can't be true. You're beautiful, the most beautiful woman in the world. I love your hair a lot, it looks like the color of the sunset, and I love that color so much."

"Oh, my daughter is flattering me now."

"No, I'm telling the truth."

"Hahaha, alright, alright, my smart girl."

They slept after that, holding each other as if they were the only ones left in the world.

---

Years passed, and it was Mary's tenth birthday.

"Mom, Mom, wake up! It's my birthday!"

Cough, cough, "Mary, please bring me a glass of water."

"Okay, are you feeling unwell? Should I call the healer?"