Chapter 11

---

The sunlight warmed my frozen limbs, a coldness that had reached deep into my bones. I remembered the days at the orphanage when they wouldn't let me have an extra blanket. I would wrap myself in the thin sheet, covering my face to stop any cold air from entering. I had always loved warmth, though I never truly experienced it. An orphan, living among strangers who hated even looking at me. I always tried to keep my clothes clean, and my hands shining, hoping that a family would take me in, hold me close, and give me the warmth I had begged for my whole life.

"What are you doing outside?"

Clara interrupted Mary's thoughts, gently patting her head.

"The weather is nice today, so I decided to escape washing the dishes and enjoy it."

"Yes, we deserve this after everything."

"And what brings you here?"

"I had a feeling you would be here."

Mary looked at her with mock disbelief.

"Oh really, like some kind of fortune teller?"

"I'm kidding! Don't look at me like that. I just had a little stomach pain, so I came here to rest."

"Pain?"

Mary's voice filled with concern as she asked, "Where does it hurt? Can you stand? Sit down and rest."

Clara laughed softly.

"Mary, it's nothing serious. I'm just a bit tired. Sit down too."

"No, I need to go. But you rest, okay?"

"Okay, mom! Hahaha."

Mary walked away from Clara, still worried by her words. She felt that Clara wasn't her usual self. A strange feeling washed over her, but she decided to ignore it.

That evening.

"Mary, come here," the head maid ordered.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Come with me."

Mary followed the head maid down a familiar hallway. She knew this path well, and the door ahead was not unfamiliar. As the maid opened it, Mary screamed in shock.

"Clara! Clara! What happened here?"

"Shut up, you filthy girl, and help me carry her out."

The head maid shouted at Mary, who threw herself onto Clara's cold body, struggling to understand what was happening. She grabbed her arm.

"Clara, wake up! Why are you so cold? Please, wake up! Don't leave me too, didn't we say we'd be sisters for life? Didn't we say we'd travel the world together? You promised me! You said we'd fulfill our dreams together! You said you'd take care of me all my life because you love me! Is this your love, Clara? Why are you leaving me? Not you too... I'm an orphan. My father left me, my grandmother followed, and now I finally found a sister, but she's leaving me too. Why is this happening? What did I do to deserve this? I'm a good person... is this my punishment? Why can't I live a normal life with the people I love? Why do they all leave me? Why..."

Her voice cracked, and tears flooded her face as she clung to Clara's lifeless body.

The head maid pulled her away roughly, trying to separate her from the body.

"Mary, move now, or I'll withhold your food for a week."

Mary turned to the maid, her eyes filled with fury and anger. She grabbed the maid's hand with strength, digging her nails into her skin, refusing to let go. The head maid, usually so domineering, froze in place, terrified by Mary's sudden outburst. For the first time, she saw a spark of rage that chilled her to the bone. Was this really the same Mary?

"Kill me! Kill me now! There's no point in living! I have no one left in this world. Go ahead, kill me! You always tortured me; here's your chance. I'm asking you—kill me!"

The maid struggled to break free from Mary's grip and finally shoved her to the ground with difficulty.

"Have you lost your mind? I'll starve you for a month for this!"

"Or better yet, grab a knife and stab me in the heart. I'm not alive anymore! I died long ago, so it wouldn't be anything new. Kill me, I said!"

Mary screamed, her voice echoing through the room, while the head maid tried to make sense of what was happening. Mary stood up again, grabbing her once more, pleading.

"Please! I'm begging you—kill me."

Mary's tears flowed uncontrollably, her anger and sorrow consuming her thoughts. She couldn't see or hear anything clearly; all she wanted was death, the only escape from her pain.

The head maid, frightened by the unexpected strength in Mary's voice, desperately tried to free herself from her grasp. The spark in Mary's eyes terrified her to her very core.

"Have you gone mad, you lowlife? Get away from me!"

The maid slapped Mary across the face, throwing her to the ground.

"I'll leave you here with that corpse until you regain your senses."

She left and slammed the door behind her.

"Kill me! Please, just kill me and end this suffering. My soul is destroyed. Why should I live? What's the point of my existence? In my world, everyone despises me, and now, even here, everyone leaves me. Why does everyone leave?"

When she felt there was no longer any use in screaming, she gave in to her fate.