CHAPTER 4-Whispers of Loss, Promises of Hope.

Even if imagination keeps making you happy, a day will come when that happiness won't last, because happiness is not life but rather a small reward for every effort.

When I regained my senses, it was the scorching summer afternoon sun sneaking through the window without permission, reaching my head which lay in the middle of the room. The burning sunlight gently touched my face, filling me with warmth, peace, and comfort. But the peaceful moment was interrupted when I overheard the maids talking.

"How could her family do this? They are her family, after all."

"Yes, the lady was so kind, strict, and a strong woman."

"I never thought the day would come when she would leave us."

"The whole house mourns her loss."

I quietly left the room and interrupted their conversation.

"What happened? Answer me."

The maids were startled. "Nothing, my lady. Have you woken up? Would you like to get ready now?"

Mary replied firmly, "Didn't you hear me? I ordered you to tell me what's going on."

The maids exchanged nervous, scared glances.

"Well... some relatives of the great lady arrived, and..."

Mary's gaze made the maids tremble with fear. Then the nanny stepped in.

"My little lady, what are you doing in the hallway in your nightgown?"

"I just want to know what's happening."

"My lady, this is something for the adults to handle. Now, hurry up and change your clothes for breakfast. And you, go and help the young lady get ready."

"Yes, ma'am."

Mary thought to herself, (There must be something going on, and they don't want to tell me.)

...

"My lady, which dress would you like to wear?"

Mary looked at the maids while thinking to herself, (There are so many dresses here that I never dreamed I would see. I really love these beautiful dresses.)

Mary wandered around the closet, admiring the different kinds of dresses. There were dresses studded with jewels, others elegant, and some with bright colors. After much thought, she answered, "Since we lost my grandmother yesterday, it's only appropriate that I wear a formal, elegant black dress."

"As you wish, my lady."

Most of the maids were commoners, so they didn't have much respect for the count's family after he was executed for committing that bloody crime. That's why Mary couldn't open up to them, except for the nanny, who Mary knew had no choice but to remain neutral and couldn't show her affection. Because of this, Mary didn't have any close relationships with the palace servants.

After getting ready, she went to see her mother, Elizabeth.

She found her sitting alone at the table, with sadness clearly written on her face. Mary gazed at her for a few moments before approaching and hugging her with her small body. At that moment, Mary felt that she needed to protect her mother as Mary and that she would forget Lounao and her memories and live only as Mary.

"Mother, why are you sitting here alone? You should have waited for me."

Elizabeth smiled as she stroked her daughter's face.

"Well, I saw my dear daughter sleeping like an angel, so I didn't want to wake you."

Mary sat at the table and told her, "But I want to see my mother's face first thing when I wake up."

The second smile Elizabeth gave was filled with genuine happiness, and Mary felt it too.

"If I ever see you sleeping again, I will wake you up. Is that a deal?"

"Yes, that's what you should do. Will you promise?"

"I promise."

"Hurry, Mother, let's eat quickly. I want to walk around the place with you."

"My daughter wants to walk with me? Hmm, I think we should do that. But eat slowly."

"I will eat a lot, so I can grow up fast and protect you."

"My dear daughter, will you protect me?"

"Yes, I'll always protect you. So, shall we go have tea in the garden?"

Mary stood up and held her mother's hand, leading her toward the garden.

"Let's go, Mother."

...

In the garden:

Mary spoke to herself:

That day, the weather was calm, and the sky was clear, like the calm that comes after a storm. The clouds formed a painting in the sky, layered upon each other, and the flowers spread all around with beautiful shapes and varieties. It was as if we hadn't lost grandmother just yesterday...

Elizabeth interrupted: "Mary?"

"Yes, Mother?"

"I think we need to leave this place."

"It's okay, Mother! I know that. You don't need to explain the situation to me."

"My smart daughter, you really amaze me."

'From how the servants are behaving, I think grandmother's family doesn't need us anymore.'

"Yes, and we don't need them either. We only need each other, right?"

"Yes, Mother. I don't want anything except for you to be near me."

Elizabeth couldn't hold back her tears anymore. Her emotions flowed, like a door that had been shut for too long and couldn't stay closed any longer. Mary jumped from her place and hugged her mother tightly, who was overwhelmed by the events that had come from all directions.

"Mother, I'm here now, and I will never leave you."

"Yes, my dear daughter."