Chapter 12: A Silent Cry for Freedom

4 days Later

Lina lay curled up in bed, the room dark except for the faint light coming from her phone's screen. Her face ached from the bruises, and her body trembled as she clutched her sides. She had gotten used to the pain, but tonight felt different. Tonight, her heart was breaking in a way she hadn't felt before.

It started as usual—her mother's sharp words, the growing tension, and finally the violence that Lina had endured so many times. But something in Lina's heart had snapped, as if her last bit of strength had drained away. She couldn't fight it anymore; she didn't want to stay quiet any longer. She needed help.

The day had begun like any other. Lina was anxious, but she kept her head down, hoping to avoid confrontation. However, her mother had returned home that evening after a trip out of the city, and it didn't take long for the tension to escalate.

"Where have you been?" her mother yelled, her voice cutting through the air like a knife. Lina flinched, instinctively backing away from the door. "You think you can just run away from me?"

"I—I was with Leon," Lina stammered, hoping that might placate her mother.

Her mother's eyes flared with anger. "I don't care where you were! You're my daughter, and you will do what I say!"

With that, she lunged at Lina, her hand connecting with Lina's face in a swift motion. Pain shot through Lina's cheek, and she stumbled back, trying to regain her balance.

"Why can't you be more like your sister?" her mother spat, advancing toward her. "You're a disgrace!"

Lina knew better than to fight back. She stood there, trembling as her mother continued to hit her, each strike landing harder than the last. She curled her arms around her head, trying to shield herself from the blows, but it was no use.

After what felt like an eternity, her mother finally stopped, breathing heavily. Lina sank to the floor, her body wracked with sobs. She felt the bruises forming, the pain radiating through her limbs. It was worse this time; she could feel the welts rising on her skin, and the sharp pain in her ribs reminded her of the dark reality she was living.

As her mother stormed out, Lina lay there, a broken shell of herself. Her phone was still clutched in her hand, and she knew who she needed to call. She didn't want to burden him again, but Leon was the person who made her feel safe.

With trembling fingers, she dialed his number, tears streaming down her cheeks as the phone rang. On the third ring, his voice came through, deep and concerned. "Lina?"

She couldn't speak at first; just a soft whimper escaped her lips.

"Lina, what's wrong?" Leon's voice sharpened with worry. "Are you okay? What happened?"

She tried to form words but only managed a sob. "L-Leon...she hurt me...again."

There was silence on the other end for a moment before Leon's voice became deadly calm. "Where are you?"

"I'm home," she whispered, her voice cracking. "Please...please come."

"I'm on my way. Don't move. Just stay where you are."

Lina hung up, clutching her phone to her chest as she sobbed quietly. Her whole body ached, but it was the emotional toll that weighed on her most. She sat on the floor, her back against her bed, waiting for him, her mind racing with fear and guilt. She didn't want to be a burden, but the pain was too much to bear alone.

As she waited, she closed her eyes and whispered a prayer, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Oh Allah, please help me. I don't know how much longer I can endure this pain. Guide me and give me strength."

Leon arrived in what felt like no time at all, bursting into the house with a sense of urgency. He found Lina sitting silently, her arms wrapped around herself, her eyes red from crying. He crouched down beside her, his face full of both worry and anger.

Without a word, he gently lifted her up, his hands surprisingly tender given the anger simmering beneath his calm demeanor. Lina couldn't look at him; she was too ashamed.

"Lina," he whispered softly, tilting her chin up so she would look at him. His face was a mixture of pain and protectiveness, his eyes scanning the bruises on her cheek. "You're coming with me. I'm taking you to the hospital."

Lina didn't argue. She just nodded, her eyes filling with tears again. Leon wrapped his arm around her, guiding her out of the house and into his car.

The ride to the hospital was silent. Lina stared out of the window, the pain in her body dulled by the overwhelming sadness that consumed her. Leon kept glancing at her, his jaw clenched, but he said nothing. The tension between them was palpable, not from anger, but from the shared grief of a situation neither of them knew how to fix.

At the hospital, the doctors attended to her in a private room, Leon by her side the entire time. She felt fragile, like a cracked vase barely held together. Leon's presence, though quiet, gave her the strength to keep herself from completely shattering.

As the doctor left the room after examining her, Leon sat beside her on the hospital bed, his eyes filled with unspoken emotions. He ran a hand through his hair, looking as though he wanted to punch something, but he held back for her sake.

Lina stayed quiet, her head down, unsure of what to say. She didn't want to talk about what happened; she just wanted to forget. But Leon's anger was simmering just beneath the surface, and she could feel it.

"You need to leave, Lina," he finally said, his voice strained. "You can't keep living like this. She's not going to stop."

Lina bit her lip, trying to hold back the tears. "I don't know how," she whispered. "I don't want to hurt her. She's still my mom."

Leon clenched his fists, frustration pouring off him. "She doesn't deserve that title, Lina. She doesn't care about you like we do. I've had enough of seeing you suffer."

Lina didn't respond. She just stared at her hands, feeling the weight of his words but not knowing how to respond. A part of her knew he was right, but another part of her clung to the hope that things could somehow get better. That her mother would change.