Maniuplation: part 5 (The text-2)

Josh sat with Thea, helping her pin fabric together for a new dress, their conversation light as they discussed designs and laughed about small things. The atmosphere was peaceful until Thea excused herself to the bathroom.

Her phone, left on the table, pinged several times. Josh hesitated but curiosity got the best of him. Glancing down, he noticed the messages were from an anonymous number. His brow furrowed as he opened the chat.

"Hi Thea,
The dress looks nice, love. Keep working.
Oh, hi father-in-law.
Mind giving the phone to her?"

Josh's hand trembled as the reality of what he was reading set in. Someone had been watching them. Watching Thea. He scanned the room, dread settling into his bones as the words echoed in his mind: he has cameras in the room.

His first thought was of protecting his daughter. Thea had been through enough, and now it seemed that the shadowy figure from her past was back. His heartbeat pounded in his ears, fear gnawing at him. He needed to get her out, keep her safe, but how?

Just then, Thea returned to the room. "Sorry I took so long, Mom needed help with something," she said, smiling as she walked back toward him. But her smile faded when she saw the color drain from his face. "Dad? What's wrong?"

Josh, fighting to keep his emotions in check, quickly shoved the phone into his pocket and forced a shaky smile. He couldn't let her know what was happening—couldn't frighten her like this. "Nothing, sweetheart. I just thought we could use some music while we work."

Thea relaxed, smiling knowingly. "You always love your music," she said, turning back to the fabric, relieved it was nothing serious.

Josh looked at his daughter, her focus back on her work. She was unaware, blissfully so, but he had to act fast. He would speak to her tonight, about Yaroslavl's offer, she seemed comfortable with him last night, she wouldn't have a problem but staying here could only mean danger for her,

With his thoughts spiralling he joined his daughter helping her.

Yaroslav's plan had been calculated, crafted to exploit Josh's protective instincts

Yaroslav's plan had been calculated, crafted to exploit Josh's protective instincts. The anonymous texts weren't meant for Thea, but for her father, knowing exactly how it would play out. Yaroslav had no desire to frighten Thea directly; the thought of her back in a hospital bed haunted him more than anything.

But Josh—he was the perfect pawn. Yaroslav knew the history, knew that someone from Thea's past had terrorized her, and he used that knowledge to push Josh to the edge. By sending the unsettling texts, he planted the seeds of fear, knowing Josh would do whatever it took to protect his daughter. And that would lead him straight into Yaroslav's carefully laid trap.

Josh, gripped by fear, would begin to see Yaroslav's offer as the only solution, and when he finally came to that conclusion, Thea would be delivered right into Yaroslav's hands, just as he had planned.