𝑷𝑹𝑶𝑳𝑶𝑮𝑼𝑬

prologue.
000

I lay down on my bed, the weight of exhaustion finally giving way as I finished unpacking

I lay down on my bed, the weight of exhaustion finally giving way as I finished unpacking. My step-parents and I moved to the Outer Banks two weeks ago, but I hadn't found the energy to face the boxes. Leaving behind my hometown and the friends I'd known since I was in diapers felt like tearing out pieces of myself.

I'm adopted. I had a sister once, but we were separated when her new step-parents decided they only wanted her, not me. I think she's a year older, but the memories of her are hazy now—the last time I saw her, I was five. We lost all contact, mostly because her parents didn't want me around.

I was only three when my parents left me. For the longest time, I believed it was all just some cruel joke, that they'd come back for my sister and me one day. But they never did.

My stepmom tries to mold me into the perfect daughter she never had. I must do everything she asks and do it flawlessly, or I face her quiet disappointment. As for my stepdad, we aren't close; he stays detached unless my actions threaten the family image. In his eyes, my existence is more about maintaining appearances.

Since moving to the Outer Banks, I haven't made any real friends—except for Sarah Cameron. Although, "friend" might not be the right word. I only hang out with her because my parents insist. Her family and mine are wealthy, and our parents get along because of that.

Sarah and I are the same age, which made me think we'd click, at least initially. We're both twelve, and I believe her brother, Rafe, is fifteen.

It's early morning, and for once, I wake up with enough energy to unpack the last of my things. Today is my first day at school, but I'm anything but excited. I can already picture it—everyone will have their own friends, their own circles. And there'll be me, alone and out of place.

"Evelyn! Get down here, or you're going to be late for school," my stepmom shouts from the bottom of the stairs, her voice carrying up to my room. I drag myself out of bed, grabbing my phone, and head downstairs, where she waits by the door.

I slip outside and climb into her car, sinking into the seat as I wait for her to drive me away.

In minutes, we arrive at the school.

"Have fun, and don't do anything stupid," she says as I step out of the car, her words cold and mechanical. I walk toward the building, the weight of everything new pressing down on me. When I reach my first class, I knock on the door before stepping inside.

"Hell—Oh! You must be the new student, Evelyn Liu, right?" the teacher says with a smile. I nod, my own smile small and polite.

"You can sit there," she says, pointing to an empty desk. I nod again and slip into the seat, grateful she didn't ask for any introductions or fun facts. I'm not in the mood for any of that.

The boy sitting next to me, a blonde, doesn't even look my way. When I offered him a small smile earlier, he rolled his eyes and turned to whisper to his friend. I'm not sure what his problem is, but honestly, I don't care.