7

Hundreds of thousands of wispy cotton puffs from the nearby cottonwood trees danced upon the peaceful midmorning breeze. For reasons Everett couldn't explain, the scent of fresh-clipped grass and roses made him more eager for the day's end and summer break's official arrival.

Birdsong filled the air, and clouds changed shape, shifting with the breeze as if alive while scuttling across an azure sky. Eleven-year-old Ginny Tadlock proudly pointed out they were cumulus during today's outdoor trivia portion.

Everett's chest had swelled with pride as she effortlessly spouted the word—a small but significant victory reassuring him he hadn't completely failed as a teacher these past few grief-stricken months.

His students, paired in groups of two or three, scoured the schoolyard for the twenty-seven items on the treasure hunt list he'd carefully crafted, their eyes blazing with excitement. The promise of a delicious chocolate bar and an honorific paper ribbon, declaring them a Hawk-eyed Peeper, spurred them on, their enthusiasm palpable.

Over the past three nights, he'd racked his brain for a more clever title. But due to his soul-crushing lethargy and thus lack of creativity, it was all he'd been able to come up with.

Glancing at his watch, he noted the time and could barely contain his excitement. Twenty more minutes, and they were all free for the summer.

"TIME'S UP!" Everett shouted, cupping his hands to his mouth.

He waited at the side door, unable to hide his crooked grin as his class hurried back. "Everyone wrote their names in the upper right-hand corner with your partner?" he asked out of habit, eyeing Andrew Leonard, who blushed while quickly scribbling his name before handing over his team's paper.

Once all the scavenger hunt cards were collected and each student sat quietly on the grass, Everett lowered his rump to the top step and tallied the results.

They held their collective breaths and watched him in heavy anticipation.

"All right," Everett murmured. Bracing himself on the side of the building, he clutched his right thigh with a pained grimace and rose.

Setting the winning card atop the others in his hand, he said, "The students who will have the dubious honor of being known in all of Malad—or, at least among all of us—as Hawk-eyed Peepers and enjoy a," he reached into his leather messenger bag and withdrew the prize and crinkled paper ribbons, "slightly melted candy bar are..." He paused for dramatic effect.

"Mattie and me," Ginny excitedly chirped.

Everett chuckled. "Nope—you two only found nineteen."

"Liza, me, and Allen?" Edward Merrill shyly asked. "We found twenty-two of the things on the list."

"That you did," Everett nodded. "But the winning card belongs to two people in our class who found all twenty-seven."

Gasps, grumbles, and murmurs of awe lifted upon the air.

Everett bit back a chuckle and decided he'd kept them in suspense long enough. "The winners are Mikey Mickelson and Carson Wagner. Come and claim your prizes, boys. You've earned them."

The teenagers rose to their feet, grinning from ear to ear, though their cheeks were stained bright red.

"Thanks, Mr. Monterose," Carson and Mikey said in unison, taking a candy bar and ribbon each.

"Congratulations," Everett said, inwardly pleased Carson and not Miles had won. He glanced at his watch and sighed in relief. "One last thing before you're excused." He waited for Carson and Mikey to return to their places on the lawn and for everyone else to settle. Then he continued, "Some of you will be in my class next year; some won't."