23

Water dripped off Everett's clothing in a constant stream and pooled on the floor at his feet. Iris backed away and tossed the towels onto the bed before removing her shoes. She kicked them toward the closet with her left foot, her eyes never leaving his.

"The rain probably ruined those forever," she murmured, unfastening the seven mother-of-pearl buttons extending from the deep blousy 'v' of her dress to the nipped-in waist. Once free of their fabric moorings, the material gaped, revealing her silky, lace-edged chemise beneath. Everett had assumed it to be a part of the bodice.

"I'll buy you a dozen more pairs to replace them."

"A dozen?" Iris giggled. "Where would I put them all? This closet can barely contain my small wardrobe and shoes as it is."

"Guess we'll have to build a bigger house."

"I'd like that," Iris softly said, holding his stare. The air between them became heavy with an ocean of unspoken words and tender emotions. "But not too big."

"No, of course not—slightly smaller than Aunt Mable's."

"The Denver Union Station is slightly smaller than Aunt Mable's," She laughed, inching her hem toward her waist and lifted her dress over her head.

Everett's gut clenched, and his fingers itched to assist her. However, the knowledge that Marcus and Sally were waiting kept him rooted between the dresser and the door. So, instead, he allowed himself to feast his eyes on Iris in nothing except her stockings and undergarments.

"Was that as ungraceful as two piglets wrestling under a blanket?" Iris breathlessly giggled, her tone full of sarcasm and her cheeks flushing a pretty shade of pink. She turned her dress right side out and cast a sheepish glance at him. "Because that's how it felt."

"Quite the opposite," he said, the words coming out low and rough like he'd dragged them for miles over rough terrain before using them. Everett tugged his suspenders off each shoulder, allowing them to fall to his thighs. Then he quickly untied his ankle-high boots, braced himself against the door as he toed them off, and nudged them toward the closet.

Glowing with delight and affection, Iris chuckled, "Either your glasses are still wet with rain and hampering your sight, or we need to get your eyes re-examined."

"I am due for the latter." Everett winked at her and grinned. "But I'm also partial to this particular bacon in its half-dressed state," he teased, unbuttoning and peeling off his green checkered shirt. He dropped it to the floor and bit back a chuckle at the resulting soggy splat it made.

Iris giggled. "Oh, we're just dropping—"

"Yep."

She held her dress out to the side, let go, and they laughed like carefree children at the noise.

His pants followed, landing atop his shirt and leaving him in only his soaked sleeveless undershirt, partially wet knee-length drawers, and socks. Everett removed his undershirt next and tossed it to his growing pile of discarded clothes.

Iris swallowed, desire flaring hot and bright in her brilliant blue eyes as they brazenly raked over him from head to toe. Turning, she grabbed one of the towels with a shaky hand and tossed it to him. "Will you throw me a dry chemise, please?" She asked, her voice quivering.

Everett didn't move. He couldn't. It took all his strength to keep his feet planted when what he wanted—

"It's the silky thing in the top drawer that looks like a slip," she clarified, obviously misunderstanding his hesitation.

Oh, he knew what a chemise was. Everett draped his towel around his neck and settled his hands on his hips. "You sure you wouldn't rather pick one out—"