6

Iris didn't move from her little patch of lawn until after Everett drove away. The sun was blinding, casting a bright, cheery glow over the northern fields of alfalfa and wheat.

But she couldn't appreciate the beauty of the scenery with her mind in such turmoil. When her gaze had collided with Everett's, her pulse had leapt, and excited flutters filled her stomach. She'd briefly thought about escaping back inside Sally's house until the undesired sensations disappeared. But Iris didn't want her sister and Everett to think she was avoiding them.

Even though she was.

And with valid reason on both counts.

Sally because she couldn't keep her trap closed when riled—a fault her older sister clearly hadn't outgrown with age. Iris grumbled and glowered at her sister, clenching and unclenching her hands, her heart thundering. She wanted to yank Sally's hair—hard—and jab her in the collarbone like they used to when younger. But that would require standing close enough to breathe the same air. So Iris stayed where she was and pacified herself by leveling a heated scowl instead.

Marcus had tried to salvage the situation by informing Iris he'd talk with Mr. Adkins later today and smooth things over. But Iris doubted the narrow-minded man would allow her in the same building as him, much less teach children after learning she'd had an extended stay in a mental hospital.

Sally may as well have told him she'd escaped from a leper colony.

Releasing an irritated growl, Iris plucked a grass blade and slowly shredded it as she began pacing between the houses.

Everett was a whole other worry and reason to be avoided as much as possible. Because he'd not only caused her a restless night's sleep, but once she'd finally drifted off into unconsciousness, his handsome face followed her there, too, tormenting her.

She didn't want to be drawn to him or find it difficult to think straight or breathe whenever he looked at her. It made her feel disloyal to Mason and sick with shame.

"You measurin' the distance between houses or just avoidin' me?" Sally asked, walking across the front lawn.

Iris flashed her a dirty look. She couldn't help it. She was still more than a little upset. "I'm trying to decide if I want to be around you right now—"

"I told you I was sorry—"

"Or if I'm going to return inside and spend the day attempting to read since you and Marcus hid all the cutlery and cooking utensils last night while I was sleeping."

Sally flushed a fiery red from her neck to her hairline. "We didn't want you to do anythin' rash—"

"Like slit my wrist again?" Iris snapped. "Which I didn't do the first time."

"I found you in yer bedroom," Sally quietly fumed, glancing around as though she feared someone in the vacant fields surrounding them would overhear. "Covered in blood with yer wrist slashed to yer elbow."

"IT WAS AN ACCIDENT," Iris shouted, not caring who heard her, fighting to hold back tears of frustration, hurt, and rage. "And it barely extends up my forearm." She shoved her cardigan sleeve up past her elbow to show the entire length of her scar as proof.

Sally flinched.

"How many times must I tell you—"

"You were out of yer mind with—"

"Out of my—" Iris advanced on her sister, shaking with fury. "That may well be, but I know I didn't try to—"

"YOU DON'T." Sally's cry pierced the air so loud that it startled her into silence and sent a flock of birds from their roost in the towering cottonwood by the shed.