Epilogue

Fourteen Years Later

Saturday, April 7, 1934

Afternoon sunlight poured through the stained glass church windows, casting a mesmerizing kaleidoscope of colors on everyone in the pews. Like delicate whispers of love, bouquets of fern, white dendrobium orchids, calla lilies, and roses adorned the ends along the center aisle, perfuming the air with their sweet fragrance.

A grand arch at the front comprised of these blooms, a living testament to the couple's love, framed Thomas and Berta as the grey-haired minister declared, "I pronounce you husband and wife—you may now kiss the bride."

The newlyweds were a picture of pure joy, their wide grins radiating happiness. Berta's squeal of delight filled the air, eliciting chuckles from the crowd. Thomas, unable to contain his adoration, pulled her close for a long, passionate kiss that pushed the boundaries of propriety.

Standing as the best man beside a chuckling and unhelpful Timothy, Everett coughed in his hand and discretely nudged the groom. "Keep that up for much longer, Tommy," he murmured, his voice laced with amusement and a hint of sarcasm, "and Mr. Davenport will turn this joyous occasion into a more solemn one."

The bride and groom straightened, their beaming faces flushing a delicate pink as they turned and faced their guests before walking down the aisle.

Everyone filed out after them, spilling from their pews like a rainbow-colored flood of humanity exiting the church. But Iris and the children hung back, waiting for Everett.

"You were the most handsome man up there, my love," Iris whispered, her eyes sparkling with adoration as she leaned in to steal a kiss.

"Indeed?" he growled against her lips, smiling. "Is that why you were visually disrobing me?"

"I can neither confirm nor deny—"

"Do we get to go home now?" Eight-year-old Knox interrupted, his freckled face bright with hope as he handed over Everett's cane. His curly dark brown hair defied Iris's morning attempt to comb it into submission and added to his innocent charm. Gold-rimmed glasses, identical to his, framed Knox's crystalline blue eyes.

Everett pulled Iris close for one last hard kiss before giving Knox his undivided attention. Shaking his head, he couldn't help but smile as he ruffled his son's hair. "Not yet—"

"There's still the luncheon and reception we must endure," Holden, older than Knox by two years, pointed out, his voice thick with gloom and maturity beyond his age. "Collecting pollywogs will have to wait till tomorrow."

Iris and Everett shared an amused look.

Knox's shoulders slumped forward in defeat.

"When do we get to eat cake?" Miryam, their youngest at seven, chirped, her wide hazel eyes brimming with anticipation as she looked between her parents.

Iris chuckled and gently prodded the children into the aisle. "Later. At the reception—"

"Which we'll never get to," Bailey interjected, poking her head out from behind Iris's right. She scowled at her younger siblings, her auburn curls catching the sunlight and glowing like a fiery halo. "If you three don't pick up the pace. I swear—"

"You shouldn't swear. We're in a church," Ashlynn pointed out with the condescending superiority of a twelve-year-old. "You'll get smited and become a puddle of goo."

"Will not," Bailey automatically replied, her spine stiffening with bridled outrage. It'd become a more familiar site within the past year as the two older girls deliberately sought ways to irritate the other. "Smited isn't even a word. Is it mother?"