chapter four: Kian

Kian!" Rowan shouted, his voice filled with shock as he beheld Kian floating in the air, his eyes turned an unnatural white. "Elias!" he called out in alarm, and Elias immediately rushed over.

"What's going on?" Elias asked, his gaze following Rowan's to Kian. "Dorian, help him!" he urged.

Without hesitation, Orion and Cassian joined in, and together they chanted, "Revenire!" (a spell to restore the affected person to their normal state. It breaks the levitation and any magical trance or possession, returning the person's eyes and body to their natural form).

Kian returned to normal, collapsing into Elias's arms as he caught him. "Kian, are you alright?" Cassian asked with concern.

"What happened? Who did this to you?" he continued.

"I don't know... It was like they were invisible. I couldn't see them, and suddenly, I was lifted into the air, like they wanted something from your house," Kian replied, his voice trembling with fear.

"Maybe we should stay for one more night before we leave, to give Kian time to rest," Alden suggested to Dorian.

"You're right. Elias, you should stay here for one more night. Tomorrow, I promise, I'll take you to Miss Alara Harrison," Dorian reassured Elias.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Do you think he's alright?" Cassian asked Dorian, worry evident in his voice as they stood in the library.

"I'm sure he's fine now. Don't worry, Cassian," Dorian replied with a comforting smile.

"Hey," Elias greeted the two as he entered the room.

"Oh, Elias, I didn't notice you there," Dorian responded.

"Is there something you need? Is everything okay?" Dorian asked.

"Yes, actually, I have a question. Do you know anything about what happened to my parents? What happened to my father and mother?" Elias asked, his voice heavy with curiosity and concern, desperate to uncover the truth.

Dorian paused for a moment before responding. "I do know... but..."

"But what? What is it?" Elias pressed, eager for answers.

"I won't tell you, Elias. I'll show you," Dorian said as a book on the table began to move on its own. The pages flipped open, and a vivid image appeared before Elias's eyes-his parents.

Lucian: "It's too dangerous here, Ivy. I can't leave you behind," Lucian pleaded with Ivy, his voice filled with desperation.

Ivy: "My love, I know... but I must stay. This is the only way for you to return to our world," Ivy replied, her words laced with sorrow.

"What...?" Elias gasped, shocked at what he was witnessing.

"How is this... how did this happen?" Elias stammered, still trying to process what he had just seen.

"That's all I can show you for now, Elias," Dorian said quietly.

"He's right, Elias. We should leave and get some rest. You'll need your strength for tomorrow," Cassian added, gently guiding Elias away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The suffocating silence that had settled after the nightmare was almost unbearable. My heart was still racing from the horrifying encounter with the shadowy version of myself. I sat up in bed, drenched in sweat, trying to steady my breath. It was a dream... just a dream.

I whispered it to myself over and over, but the unease clung to me like a second skin. I wasn't safe here, not yet. And worse, whatever that thing was-it wasn't done with me.