chapter sixteen: Kian

The next morning, everyone had already risen and stepped out of the house, mounting their horses. The forest was silent, and the air was crisp and clean.

They had traveled far when suddenly, the forest darkened, causing everyone to stop and assess the strange happenings around them.

A woman's voice called out, "The Darkness Witch," said Salem.
"What is she doing here?" Elias asked, his voice laced with caution.

"Hello, Cassian," Agnes greeted.
"What do you want with him now?" Dorian demanded, his anger rising.
"Calm down. I only want to speak to Cassian, just the two of us," Agnes replied calmly.

Cassian began to float towards Agnes, or rather, the Darkness Witch.
“No!” Dorian shouted.
“Don’t worry,” said Orion, attempting to soothe him. “Perhaps she just wants answers.”

Cassian and Agnes suddenly vanished, disappearing from sight.
"They’re gone," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

"What do you want from me?" Cassian asked, fear evident in his tone.
"Shh, I won’t hurt you. I just want us to talk," Agnes replied.
"And what could we possibly have to discuss?" Cassian asked, his fear mingling with suspicion.

"About your past life," Agnes whispered. "Watch this."

In an instant, a vision appeared, showing the town of Italy where Cassian once lived. He was 30 years old, while Agnes, or the Darkness Witch, was 25. They had been the closest of friends since childhood, growing up side by side and finishing their studies together. Cassian had been a wizard, and Agnes, a witch.

Time passed, and one night, while Agnes slept peacefully in her home, a group of men broke in, covering her with a sack and dragging her to the town square. When Agnes awoke, she found herself surrounded by a hostile crowd.

"Die, monster!" an old man shouted. Tears welled up in Agnes's eyes as she pleaded, "I've done nothing to harm any of you."

“Kill her!” the crowd chanted.
“Please, have mercy,” Agnes begged, her voice shaking with desperation. She saw Cassian standing in the crowd. "Cassian," she whispered weakly, "don’t leave me."

But Cassian did nothing.

Agnes’s voice trembled with anger as she recalled the memory.
"I didn’t do that to you," Cassian said, guilt overtaking him.
"I know," Agnes replied, her voice soft yet filled with pain. "But that was your past life. We were best friends, Cassian. And yet, when I needed you most, you abandoned me. You didn’t help me."

"Agnes, please forgive me," Cassian pleaded, remorse weighing heavily on his shoulders. "That was my past life. I am not the same person now. I would never have done that to you."

"I told you the same thing before, too," Agnes said sadly, her voice filled with an old sorrow.
"Please, I’m truly sorry, Agnes. I know I was wrong, but the past is over. I’m different now," Cassian pleaded, his voice breaking.

“No!” Agnes exclaimed in frustration.

Suddenly, the surrounding darkness lifted, and light began to flood the area once more.
“What’s happening?” Cassian asked, confused.
"Wake up," Agnes said, slapping him gently.
"Oh my God, I’m still alive," Cassian breathed, relief washing over him.

"Don’t worry, I won’t bother you anymore," Agnes said softly. "Thank you for being my friend in a life long gone."

We found Cassian soon after. Dorian’s face was etched with deep concern as he studied him.
“Cassian, are you alright?” I asked, worry creeping into my voice.

"You go on ahead," Elias instructed. "Escort Prince Kaelion to Professor Alaric Veldor. We'll stay behind for now."

So Elias, Salem, Alden, Dorian, and I stayed back with Cassian, wondering what more the darkness witch had revealed to him.