chapter seven: Rowan

I woke up in a room I had never seen before, darkness cloaking everything around me. Fear tightened in my chest as I called out, "Who's there?"

"Sorry, did I disturb your sleep?" a voice asked from the shadows, unfamiliar and unsettling.

"Who are you?" I demanded, my heart racing.

"My apologies. I'm not the one who kidnapped you," the stranger explained. "I'm here to help. Come on, we need to get you out of here. Quickly!"

"Wait, who are you?" I asked again, still wary.

"There's no time for that. Just follow me," he urged, urgency dripping from his tone.

"Alright, just give me a second," I said, standing up hesitantly.

"Let's go! Keep your eyes on the path!" he whispered.

"Whoa-!" I yelped as we navigated through the narrow passages, nearly tripping.

"Don't worry, I've got you," he reassured.

"Stop them!" echoed a voice from behind, distant but closing in.

"Jump!" he commanded, leading me over an obstacle, pushing us onward. We ran until we reached a clearing.

"This is as far as I can go," he said abruptly.

"Wait!" I panted, out of breath. "Before you leave, can I at least know your name?"

"Now? Of all times?" he groaned, exasperation clear in his voice.

"I know, it's a bad time. But I'd like to know your name before we part ways," I explained, a small smile tugging at my lips.

He sighed, resigned. "Fine. It's Peter, or Pete for short."

"Cute," I teased with a laugh, trying to lighten the tension.

"What?" he asked, incredulously.

"Uh, I mean, nice name. Yeah... hehe," I stumbled over my words, embarrassed.

"Go now, before it's too late," he said, flashing me a rare smile.

"Goodbye, Pete," I said, smiling back.

"Run, won!" he called after me.

"Won-really?" I chuckled, amused.

"Quit joking around and run! They're almost here!" he urged, his voice turning serious again.

"Goodbye, Pete!" I shouted back with a grin before sprinting off.

I barely made it a few steps before nearly crashing into someone standing directly in my path. I gasped, startled, only to realize it was Orion and Cassian.

"Come on," Orion said urgently. "Get on, now!"

Without hesitation, I climbed onto the horse behind him. We sped off at a breakneck pace.

"They're catching up!" Cassian warned as the sound of pursuit grew louder behind us.

"Cassian! Now!" Orion called out.

Cassian raised his hand, magic pulsing from his fingertips as he whispered the incantation, "Translocare tempus et spatium, nunc transfero meum corpus."(Transfer time and space, now I move my body.)

Instantly, the world around us dissolved, and we vanished into the void, transported to safety.

How did you find me?" I asked, still catching my breath. "Wait-who was that guy you were flirting with?" Cassian teased, a smirk on his face.

"Shut up, Cassian," I snapped, glaring at him.

"Enough, you two. We're here now," Orion interrupted, trying to keep the peace.

"Rowan!" Kian's voice rang out as he rushed towards me, worry etched in his expression. "Are you alright?" Alden asked, stepping closer.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I replied. "Thanks to Peter, I wouldn't have gotten out of there without him."

"Peter, huh?" Cassian grinned, mischief gleaming in his eyes. "Sounds interesting," he teased.

"Shut up, Cassian!" I snapped again, feeling the heat rise in my face.

"Who's Peter?" Elias asked, his brow furrowed.

"He's... a friend," I answered hesitantly.

"Just a friend?" Alden asked, raising an eyebrow, clearly unconvinced.

"You guys are impossible," I grumbled, frustration seeping into my voice.
"Translocare tempus et spatium, nunc transfero meum corpus."
(Transfer time and space, now I move my body.)

With those words, Orion cast the spell, instantly transporting us to a different location.

"Come on, let's go," Orion urged as we regained our bearings.

Kian turned to Aunt Alara and gave her a tight embrace. "Thank you, Aunt Alara," he said softly. "Are you all right, Rowan?" he asked, his eyes full of concern.

"I'm fine, really," I replied, still shaken but relieved. "Let's go inside. I've prepared food for all of you," Alara said, her voice filled with warmth, as she ushered us into the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning came quickly, but the tension in the air remained heavy. After the daring escape, the group gathered in the main hall, preparing for what lay ahead. The sun's early light streamed in through the high windows, casting long shadows on the floor.

Orion paced, clearly deep in thought. "We can't waste time. Rowan's escape might have bought us a little time, but whoever took him won't stop. We need to figure out who's behind this," he said, his voice low but firm.

Kian, standing near the door, chimed in. "I agree. But first, we need to know more about this Peter. Rowan, can we trust him?" His gaze landed on me, questioning.

I took a deep breath, recalling the events of the night before. "Peter saved me, helped me escape. But..." I hesitated, glancing at Elias, who was listening closely. "I don't know his full intentions. He seemed to know too much about us, about what's happening."

Cassian leaned back against the wall, arms crossed, and with his usual teasing grin, he spoke, "Are you sure you weren't just distracted by his charming smile, Rowan?"

I shot him a glare. "Shut up, Cassian. This is serious."

Elias, ever the calm voice of reason, finally spoke. "Whether we trust him or not, it's clear we have more allies out there than we realize. But we also have more enemies." He paused, looking each of us in the eye. "We need to stay alert. Every step we take from here on out is dangerous."

Alara entered the room then, carrying a tray of food. "You all need to eat before you set off again. You can't fight on an empty stomach." Her voice was warm, though worry still lingered in her eyes. "I've packed enough supplies for your journey. Make sure you take everything with you."

Kian walked over to her and gave her a tight hug. "Thank you, Aunt Alara. You've done so much for us already."

She smiled softly. "It's my duty to protect you all. Just promise me you'll stay safe."

As we gathered our things, I couldn't shake the feeling that Peter's role in all of this was far from over. His name lingered in my mind, along with the nagging question: Why did he help me?

Just as we were about to leave, a loud knock echoed from the door. Cassian immediately drew his sword, and Orion stepped forward, ready for anything.

Elias nodded, and with a swift motion, opened the door. There, standing tall in the doorway, was a figure cloaked in shadow, but his presence was unmistakable.

"Peter," I whispered.