-Fifteen-

That night, Bryce and I decided we needed a break. After the tension of the day—between the threats, the growing dangers, and everything going on with the Elders—I just wanted something normal. So, we grabbed our stuff and headed out to the closest 7/11, right in front of SM City Iloilo, near Injap Tower. A quick snack, maybe some instant noodles, and everything would feel less... heavy.

It was a warm night, the streets buzzing with people, and for a moment, it felt like the chaos of the world couldn't reach us here. I could see Bryce visibly relax as we neared the bright lights of the convenience store, the familiar hum of the city around us.

"You know," Bryce said as we crossed the street, "I've been craving some pancit canton for, like, days."

"Of course you have," I teased, nudging him with my shoulder. "You practically live on that stuff."

Bryce laughed, a sound that felt lighter than it had in days. It was nice, for a second, to pretend like everything was normal. But normal never really lasts long, does it?

We were halfway through the parking lot when everything changed.

A low growl cut through the air, a sound so menacing and primal that I froze on the spot. Bryce stopped too, his hand instinctively reaching for mine as we scanned the dark shadows lurking just beyond the bright lights of the 7/11.

"Please tell me that's your stomach," Bryce whispered, though his voice had an edge of panic.

Before I could respond, a dark figure lunged out of the shadows, moving faster than I could track. My heart jumped into my throat as I barely managed to dodge, pulling Bryce with me. We stumbled back, and that's when I saw them—Tikbalanugo vampires, their twisted forms grotesque and monstrous under the streetlights.

"Great," I muttered, my heart racing. "Just what we needed tonight."

The Tikbalanugo vampires snarled, their elongated limbs and distorted features making them look more like beasts than people. Their red eyes locked onto us, and I knew we were in trouble. We hadn't brought any weapons with us. We were just out for a snack. This was supposed to be a peaceful night.

Bryce clutched my arm, his voice tight with fear. "Uh, Alisa? Any ideas?"

"Yeah," I said, already scanning our surroundings for an exit. "Run."

We bolted toward the entrance of 7/11, but the vampires were faster, cutting us off before we could make it inside. My heart pounded as I tried to think of something—anything—that could get us out of this mess. There was no way we could take on these things without weapons, and fighting them with my bare hands didn't seem like the best idea, considering they could rip me apart.

One of the Tikbalanugo vampires leaped toward us, claws outstretched, and I braced for impact—but then, out of nowhere, a blur of movement intercepted the attack. The vampire was thrown back with a force I hadn't expected, crashing into the concrete with a sickening thud.

I blinked, trying to process what just happened, when a familiar figure stepped into view.

Jordan.

Except this wasn't the quiet, somewhat mysterious Jordan I'd seen around school. No, this Jordan was different—his eyes glowing with an intense golden light, his features sharper, more predatory. And then I saw them: his fangs. Lakandugo.

Bryce gasped, taking a step back, but I could see the recognition in his eyes too. We'd been around enough vampires to know what we were dealing with.

"You're... Lakandugo?" I stammered, still trying to wrap my head around it.