-Seventeen-

I walked into the school, I hoped for a calm day, but the universe had other plans.

I turned a corner and nearly walked right into a wall of muscle—Eddie, the school's resident bully, had Bryce cornered by the lockers. My heart raced as I took in the scene. Bryce's expression was a mix of annoyance and fear, and I could see Eddie's fist clenched, ready to deliver a punch. Not on my watch.

"Hey! Why don't you pick on someone your own size?" I shouted, striding forward with all the bravado I could muster.

Eddie turned, his eyes narrowing as he sized me up. "What's it to you, half-breed? You think you can save him?"

I squared my shoulders, refusing to back down. "Actually, yes. Because if anyone's throwing punches today, it's going to be me."

"Please," he scoffed, "What are you going to do? Bite me? You're nothing but a freak."

"Freaks can be pretty strong, you know," I shot back, my heart pounding. "And I'm pretty sure I could take you on any day of the week."

Eddie opened his mouth, probably to throw another insult, but before he could, I took a step closer, my eyes locked onto his. "You want to hit someone? Go ahead. But you'll have to go through me first."

At that moment, I felt a surge of confidence, fueled by the need to protect my friend. Eddie hesitated, clearly thrown off by my determination. But before he could process it, I heard footsteps approaching behind me.

"Alisa!" Lydia's voice rang out, dripping with mockery. She sauntered out of her classroom, a smirk plastered on her face as she took in the scene. "Wow, look at you, playing the hero. How cute. Did last night's drama inspire this little act?"

My blood boiled at her taunts, but I refused to give her the satisfaction of seeing me rattled. "You wouldn't know cute if it bit you," I snapped back, my eyes narrowing at her.

"Oh, come on," she said, feigning innocence. "Didn't you enjoy your little breakdown at the Esplanade? It must have been a real emotional rollercoaster for you. Too bad you couldn't ride the high of being a real vampire."

"Maybe you should take a ride on a reality check," I shot back, my voice laced with sarcasm. "It might do you some good."

Bryce, who had been watching the exchange with wide eyes, finally spoke up, his voice steady. "Alisa's not what you think, Lydia. You have no idea what she's capable of."

Lydia rolled her eyes, the smirk still plastered on her face. "Oh, please. I'm sure you two have your little half-breed bond, but it doesn't change the fact that you're still an outcast. Why don't you go back to your dark corner and cry some more?"

"Why don't you just go back to your own brand of stupid?" I retorted, feeling a rush of adrenaline. "Or maybe try being decent for once? It might surprise you."

Eddie, clearly annoyed by the entire situation, scoffed and stepped back, sensing the energy shifting. "Whatever, I'm out. You're not worth my time," he muttered, turning away with a scowl.

"Smart choice," I called after him, adrenaline coursing through me.

As the tension began to dissipate, I turned to Bryce, who was looking at me with a mixture of admiration and surprise. "You really stood up for me back there. Thanks, Alisa."

"Always," I said, forcing a smile, though I felt the weight of Lydia's words lingering in the back of my mind. But in that moment, I felt a surge of determination. I wouldn't let anyone dictate my worth. I was a dhampir, and I could hold my own.

With a flick of my hair, I turned to face Lydia one last time. And with that, I walked away, head held high, ready to face whatever else the day had in store.

****