14.

The Australian Grand Prix was going to be Bianca's comeback. It had to be. But it started off with a meeting that confirmed her suspicions.

Zak had messaged her at 9 O'clock, asking to meet in the conference room. She willingly obliged, and by 9:10 everyone was gathered.

There was Zak, Andrea Stella, Bianca, her Manager, her agent, head of PR, head of Finance and even Bianca's Personal Trainer.

"Bianca..." The head of PR started. It seemed like she couldn't get the words out. "Zak called this meeting today to-"

"I want to replace you at the end of this season." Zak said bluntly.

Bianca was shocked. "But it has only been two races? How could you possibly have made the decision already?" Her agent argued.

"Because Lando has been on the podium twice in those two races." Zak continued.

"Look, there are many races left, fourteen to be exact. Because of the FIA reducing the number of races, every point counts, and-" Andrea tried to explain before Zak cut him off.

"And you are not giving us the points I want. So I am going to replace you next season unless you buck it up. Alright?" Zak shouted.

Bianca hadn't spoke the whole meeting, but hung her head in shame. She had a championship winning car, Lando had proved that, and she isn't using it.

Bianca's Personal Trainer, Steve, spoke: "Bianca has been working extremely hard in the gym. I can assure you she is not slacking on that side of things."

Her agent added: "and remember, she has been loyal with this team since F2."

"We will give you until the end of the season Bianca. I promise, but if you fall 100 points behind Lando at any point in the season, you will lose your seat." Andrea said.

That was it. Meeting over. Ultimatum given.

————

Bianca sat in her car waiting for Q3. The raw pace of the McLaren saw her through Q1 and Q2, and now she sat in the papaya garage, unable to contain her anxiety. The whole garage had a slight feeling that something was up, but no-one from that meeting room had leaked anything.

Bianca was P11 in Q1 and P9 in Q2, barely scraping through. The two Red Bulls, Ferraris and Lando joined her effortlessly, but the last 4 spots in the session were fought for.

Yuki Tsunoda in the Aston Martin came through in P6, with the Honda sponsorship and engine suiting his needs, his teammate Lance... out in Q1. Daniel Ricciardo in the Torro Rosso (they re-rebranded after the disasterous name that was 2024's Visa CashApp Racing Bulls Honda RBPT Formula 1 team.) was sat in P7 at the end of Q2, and his teammate Lawson was also in P10. Antonelli in the Mercedes finished P8, and his teammate Russell was just P11.

Aurelia looked forward to the third Qualifying session. She didn't want to get replaced next season. She couldn't.

Her car slowly rolled out of the garage onto the fresh Australian tarmac. She was the last to exit the pits, and there was 3 minutes remaining, just enough to do a warm up lap and one final shot.

All 10 cars sped around the track, all in various different sectors and situations. Ollie was looking to defend his provisional pole, and everyone behind him was looking to steal it. Some more likely, most less. Ollie's lap was a solid 3 tenths ahead of anyone else's time currently.

Lando crossed the line and soared to P2, Leclerc couldn't beat Ollie, neither could Ricciardo, Antonelli, Lawson or Perez. Just had Yuki, Max and Bianca to go.

Max crossed the line: flew to P3. Behind Ollie, behind Lando. Yuki crossed the line: P1. He pushed Ollie and Lando down a place each, and the whole Aston Garage erupted into a loud cheer, which Bianca could hear through the McLaren Pit Walls microphone.

But she shut it out, raced her heart out, crossed the line, and saw her wheel flash purple.

Purple was good.

Purple was her favourite.

Purple means that she was the fastest.

She was pole.

Mika, her race engineer, shouted "BIANCA YOU DID IT! YOU ARE POLE!"

"I never lost it..." she cried. Pure happy tears.

She heard Lando's voice through the headset, "BIG B YOU ARE NUMBER 1!!". He had no idea about the meeting either, as he was kept in the dark.

"Thats what I like to see." Zak's voice cheered. To the whole world those words were of encouragement, to Bianca, they were a threat.

She now just had to convert that pole to a win.

———
CROFTY: "And we are in the Land Down Under today for the Australian Grand Prix. Your papaya princess is sitting on pole, alongside the Japanese Jaguar, Yuki Tsunoda. The full grid order will flash up on your screen in a second:

P1. Bianca BUSTAMANTE - Mclaren
P2. Yuki TSUNODA - Aston Martin
P3. Ollie BEARMAN - Ferrari
P4. Lando NORRIS - Mclaren
P5. Max VERSTAPPEN - Red Bull
P6. Charles LECLERC - Ferrari
P7. Kimi ANTONELLI - Mercedes
P8. Daniel RICCIARDO - Torro Rosso
P9. Liam LAWSON - Torro Rosso
P10. Sergio PEREZ - Red Bull
P11. Alexander ALBON - Mercedes
P13. Esteban OCON - Williams
P14. Carlos SAINZ - Audi
P15. Franco COLANPINTO - Williams
P16. Logan SARGEANT - Haas
P17. Mick SCHUMACHER - Audi
P18. Antonio GIOVINAZZI - Haas
P19. Pierre GASLY - Alpine
P20. Jack DOOHAN - Alpine

So thats it folks, your grid order, Home Hero Daniel Ricciardo lines up P8, and the other Aussie of Jack Doohan, in his third Formula 1 season.

Mclaren are strong, and Alpine are very weak. Audi and Williams have picked up in form since last season, and we hope to see a positive trend from them. Torro Rosso, thank god they changed it... are also looking strong, and have been scoring regular points.

Thats all from me, what about strategy options Bernie?"

———
Bianca sat in her car, waiting for the red lights to switch on. She just finished her formation lap, and her tyres were getting cold while the snail-paced Alpines crept around the circuit. They pulled into their grid boxes and the sequence began.

1 Red Light, 2, 3, 4, 5....

"ITS LIGHTS OUT AND AWAY WE GO. Bianca has maintained her lead into turn 1, and Lando Norris has jumped to second!" Crofty narrated.

"Yuki in third playing it conservative, and Bearman in fourth. Bearman makes a move on Tsunoda but it is unsuccessful. The Mclarens have built up an impressive lead of 2 seconds, coming through the chicane, and-
OH NORRIS HAS HIT BUSTAMANTE! HIS FRONT WHEEL HAS CLIPPED BUSTAMANTE'S AND THEY BOTH TUMBLE INTO THE BARRIERS!"

Bianca only felt the thud of the barriers against her side-pod, and the whip against her neck. Her race engineers voice hit her ears:

"Bianca, we think Norris hit you. Both of you have to retire the cars. We can check the footage to confirm after the race."

Bianca threw her wheel out of the car and clambered out. Both McLarens were written off, so she slammed her hands on the bodywork of her car and screamed. Lando walked up to her and pulled her into a hug, with both their helmets still on.

They walked to the barriers for the marshals to collect them, and they both got scootered back to the pits. Lando said "Sorry B, I didn't realise you were that close. I am sorry I took us both out."

Bianca comforted him all the way back, as she knew how hard he was on himself. But when they returned to the pits, Zak wasn't just annoyed, but furious.

"Team meeting. Now."