7. One step forward, three steps back

⚖︎

⚖︎

The morning light filtered through the blinds of Kimberley's apartment, casting stripes across the cluttered living room. Empty coffee mugs and stacks of old case files surrounded her, a testament to the sleepless night she'd spent poring over every detail of her past. The faces of former associates, witnesses, and criminals blurred together, each one a reminder of the choices she'd made and the lives she had touched—both for better and for worse.

With a sigh, Kimberley flipped through the last of the files from her undercover days, her mind racing with unanswered questions. She'd made a few calls earlier that morning to confirm the whereabouts of some of the most dangerous members of the Ortiz cartel. To her relief, they were still locked up, serving long sentences for their crimes. But the cryptic text messages loomed over her like a dark cloud, filling her with unease. Who was this new threat?

Just then, her phone buzzed, the screen lighting up with an unknown number. Heart racing, she quickly glanced at it but found only silence on the other end. The familiar knot of anxiety twisted in her stomach again. She set the phone down, trying to shake off the feeling of dread creeping in.

As she dug deeper into the files, her thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock on her door.

"Kim? It's Tim," came his voice from the other side.

"Just a second!" she called out, hastily shoving a stack of papers into a drawer and taking a deep breath. Opening the door, she forced a smile as Tim stepped inside, concern etched on his face.

"Hey, I was just checking in on you," he said, looking around at the disarray. "You've been a bit quiet lately."

"I'm fine," Kimberley lied, the words tasting bitter on her tongue. She waved her hand dismissively. "Just going through some old cases. You know how it is."

"Right," he replied, clearly unconvinced. "You want to take a break? A walk might do you good."

Kimberley hesitated. The thought of stepping outside into the world felt daunting, but she couldn't hide away forever. "Sure, a walk sounds nice."

They headed out, the crisp air filling her lungs as they strolled through the neighborhood. The vibrant autumn leaves crunched underfoot, and the chatter of passersby formed a comforting backdrop. But as they walked, the weight of her past lingered heavily in the air between them.

"So, what's really going on?" Tim finally asked, glancing sideways at her. "You can talk to me, you know."

"I know," Kimberley said, keeping her eyes ahead. "It's just... sometimes I think about my past, and I worry it'll catch up to me. I've seen things I wish I could forget."

Tim nodded, his expression softening. "You're not alone in this. Everyone has demons. It's just about how we face them."

She appreciated his understanding but couldn't shake the feeling that her demons were coming back with a vengeance. "Sometimes I just wish I could control it, you know? Like, I made my choices, and I thought I could move on. But... what if I can't?"