2

Ayliz sat in her science class, surrounded by her friends. They were discussing an upcoming project, and laughter filled the air. Her infectious smile and bubbly nature made it easy for her to connect with everyone. She was animated, her hands gesturing as she spoke.

"You guys, I can’t believe you think I would fail the biology exam! I’ve been studying all night!" Ayliz exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm.

"Yeah, but you do tend to overthink things," her friend Layla teased, giggling.

Ayliz playfully nudged her. "Just wait! I’ll show you all my A+ grades!"

Unbeknownst to her, a boy from her class, Sameer, was sitting a few benches back, watching her with keen interest. Sameer had noticed Ayliz’s warmth and charm from the first day of class, and today, he was captivated by her laughter.

As Ayliz continued her animated conversation, Sameer leaned closer to his friend, Arif, whispering, “Look at her. She’s amazing. I can’t believe how bright she is.”

Arif smirked, “You should talk to her, man. She seems friendly.”

Sameer shrugged, feeling a mix of admiration and shyness. “I don’t know… What would I even say?”

Suddenly, Ayliz's friend Noor leaned in and whispered in her ear, breaking her focus.

"Ayliz! Look outside! That boy is staring at you!"

Startled, Ayliz turned her head quickly and locked eyes with Sameer. She felt a rush of frustration rather than attraction, her cheeks flushing with anger.

"Oh my Allah, what is he doing?" she murmured, quickly moving away from the window.

She walked towards the back of the classroom, feeling annoyed.

"I can’t believe this! Do these boys have no shame?" Ayliz said, her voice tinged with irritation.

Her friend Layla followed her, concern evident on her face. "What happened? It’s just a look!"

Ayliz shook her head, her expression serious. "It’s not just a look. It’s disrespectful! Allah says in the Quran, ‘Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze...’ (Surah An-Nur 24:30). Why can’t they follow that?"

Layla nodded, understanding her friend's frustration. "I get it, Ayliz. But not every guy is like that. Maybe he didn’t mean anything by it."

"But he should know better!" Ayliz replied, her voice rising slightly. "We’re supposed to have hayaa (modesty). Doesn’t he have any taqwa (piety)?"

Just then, Noor chimed in, trying to lighten the mood. "Maybe he was just impressed by your beauty! You know how stunning you are!"

Ayliz rolled her eyes, still feeling uncomfortable. "That’s not an excuse! I don’t want anyone to look at me like that. We should be focusing on our studies and our Deen!"

Layla placed a comforting hand on Ayliz’s shoulder. "It’s okay to be noticed, Ayliz. You shine with your light. But it’s also important to stay true to yourself."

"I know, but it’s frustrating!" Ayliz admitted, her voice softening. "I just want to be a good Muslimah and not attract unnecessary attention."

Noor nodded, her expression serious. "And you are! Just remember, the right people will appreciate your personality, not just your looks."

Ayliz took a deep breath, trying to calm her nerves. "I just wish they would have ikhlaas (sincerity) in their hearts and understand our values."

As the bell rang, signaling the end of the class, Ayliz felt a mix of relief and lingering irritation..

"Let’s get to the next class," she said, her mind still racing with thoughts.

As they walked out, Layla teased, "What if he really liked you?

Ayliz shot her a look, annoyed. "No way! I’m not interested in boys who don’t respect our beliefs."

Noor laughed, trying to ease the tension. "Good! Because you deserve someone who understands your value, not just someone who stares!"

With that, they headed to their next lecture, Ayliz’s heart still racing but her spirits lifted by the support of her friends. She knew she had to stay true to herself, regardless of the attention she received.
_______^

Zyran kicked off his shoes and dropped his backpack on the floor as he entered his house, the familiar sound of his father’s stern voice echoing from the living room.

"Zyran! Where have you been? It's past midnight!" his father called out, his tone sharp and disapproving.

Zyran sighed, knowing he was in for another lecture. "I was out with my friends, Dad. We were just hanging out!" he replied, trying to keep his voice casual.

His father, Mr. Malik, was sitting on the couch, a look of frustration etched on his face. "Hanging out? This is becoming a habit. You need to focus on your studies and stop wasting time! You have a future to think about!"

Zyran rolled his eyes, his patience wearing thin. "I’m studying engineering, Dad! I know what I’m doing. I can’t just sit at home all day!"

Mr. Malik leaned forward, his voice lowering, trying to appeal to Zyran’s sense of responsibility. "But you need to respect our home and our values. Your mother and I raised you with the understanding of Deen and the importance of discipline."

Zyran crossed his arms, feeling the weight of his father's expectations. "I follow the Deen, okay? I pray five times a day. Just because I want to enjoy life doesn’t mean I’m not a good Muslim."

His mother, Fatima, stepped into the room, her presence calming yet firm. "Zyran, your father is right. You have been given many blessings. Don’t take them for granted. Remember what Allah says about time and responsibility."

Zyran sighed again, knowing he couldn’t argue with his mother’s gentle reminders. "I know, I know... But can’t I have a little fun? I want to be a big influencer and live a luxurious life, just like everyone else!"

Fatima shook her head, concern filling her eyes. "A luxurious life is not what makes you successful, my son. It’s your character and how you serve your community that matters. You must strike a balance."

Zyran felt the frustration bubbling inside him. "I get it, Mom. But I also want to enjoy life. It’s not like I’m doing anything wrong. I’m just trying to figure things out!"

Mr. Malik stood up, his voice rising slightly. "And what about your responsibilities here? Your studies? Your family? You can’t just live for yourself!"

Zyran clenched his jaw, feeling cornered. "I’m not! I’m just trying to be successful in my own way. Can’t you see that?"

The tension in the room thickened, and Zyran’s mother stepped in to diffuse it. "Zyran, we only want what’s best for you. Please understand that we love you. We just want you to focus on what truly matters."

He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. "I understand, Mom. I’ll think about it. But please, let me have my space too."

With that, Zyran turned and walked to his room, frustration boiling inside him. As soon as he closed the door, he opened his phone and logged into Instagram, scrolling through the endless stream of reels and videos.

For the rest of the night, he lost himself in the colorful clips of influencers showcasing their luxurious lives—cars, travel, parties, and success. Each video filled him with a mix of admiration and envy. He wanted that life. He wanted to be someone people looked up to.

"This is what I want," he muttered to himself, feeling a sense of purpose amidst the chaos of his thoughts. The hours slipped away as he continued to watch, the glow of his phone screen illuminating his face in the darkness.

Zyran knew he had responsibilities, but for now, the world of social media felt like an escape—a place where he could dream of the life he yearned for, even if it meant ignoring the expectations waiting for him outside his door.