Chapter 7

The sequence of explosions intensified, and the house that had offered a temporary refuge was now becoming a deadly trap. The wood creaked, and the walls began to collapse. Alexei looked at Yuri, who was trying to help the family, but it soon became apparent that they had no more time.

"Выходите! Быстро!" (Get out! Quickly!) Alexei shouted, pushing the family toward the door.

But before they could reach safety, a bomb hit the house, causing the roof to cave in on them

But before they could reach safety, a bomb hit the house, causing the roof to cave in on them. Alexei and Yuri were thrown to the ground, while the family disappeared beneath the rubble.

When Alexei finally rose, the world around him was shrouded in smoke and debris. He was dazed but still conscious, and he quickly searched for Yuri. His friend lay on the ground, visibly injured, with a piece of wood protruding from his body.

"Yuri!" Alexei shouted, running to him. "Всё будет в порядке! Мы выберемся отсюда!" (Everything will be alright! We'll get out of here!)

But Yuri was pale, and his gaze was distant. "Alexei... I don't know if I can..."

"You can! We are soldiers. We survive. We'll get out together!" Alexei said, straining to pull Yuri out from under the rubble.

The memories of the family that had welcomed them were now turning into a nightmare, but Alexei knew he needed to focus. He couldn't give up. Even amid the devastation, his determination to survive was unwavering. Alexei recalled the innocence of the little girl and the love she had shown. Amidst the darkness, that was what kept him moving.

With effort, Alexei managed to drag Yuri to safety, both of them nearly out of strength. "We won't let this bring us down," he said, trying to convey hope, even as terror surrounded them.

But the weight of what they had lost would become an eternal shadow over Alexei. The struggle for survival was far from over, and the city that had once been home to so many was now a ravaged battleground.

Darkness had fallen over the city of Atlanta, bringing with it a sense of despair that seemed to spread through the air. Alexei and Yuri huddled in a corner of the house that had become their temporary refuge. The smell of smoke and destruction permeated the atmosphere, and the echoes of explosions still reverberated in the distance, but at that moment, what concerned Alexei the most was his friend's condition.

Yuri lay on a dirty patch of floor, gasping for breath, each inhale seeming like a monumental effort. His injuries, a result of the airstrike, had worsened, and the bleeding wouldn't stop. Alexei looked at him, despair growing with each passing second.

"Just... just breathe, Yuri. I'll get help. You're going to be alright," Alexei said, his voice trembling as he tried to keep hope alive.

"Alexei..." Yuri whispered, his face pale and sweaty. "No... there's no help. I can feel it. The blood won't stop."