Chapter 13

Shane, with a determined expression, turned to Daryl. "Daryl, you cover the back," he ordered, his eyes scanning for any movement in the shadows.

Rick raised his voice, calling out: "Hello? Hello?" The echo of his voice lingered in the silent air.

Dale, ever the cautious one, insisted, "Shut those doors. Watch out for walkers."

The group entered the CDC lobby, where they found a completely empty space. The echo of their footsteps was the only sound breaking the silence.

"Hello?" Rick called again, the uncertainty weighing on him.

The sound of a gun being cocked interrupted the moment. Jenner appeared, standing in a doorway with a rifle in hand, looking at them with an alert expression.

"Is anyone infected?" Jenner asked, his voice grave and controlled.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it," Rick responded, the sorrow in his voice echoing. "Why are you here? What do you want?" Jenner asked, his distrust evident.

"A chance," Rick declared, his determination firm.

"That's asking a lot these days," Jenner commented, eyeing the group.

"I know," Rick replied, fully aware of the gravity of the situation.

Jenner looked at each of them before saying, "All of you will undergo a blood test. That's the price of entry."

"We can do that," Rick confirmed, nodding.

With a decisive move, Jenner lowered his weapon. "If you have things to bring, do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed."

They hurried inside, following Jenner to an elevator. The elevator beeped as they entered.

"VI, close the main entrance. Shut down the power up here," Jenner ordered, his eyes fixed on the panel's screen.

Rick, already in the elevator, introduced himself: "Rick Grimes." He extended his hand to Jenner, who looked away.

"Dr. Edwin Jenner," he replied, without enthusiasm.

As the elevator ascended, Daryl couldn't help but ask, "Do doctors always go around armed like that?"

"There are plenty of weapons left behind. I got familiar with them," Jenner explained, though his tone wasn't exactly reassuring. "But you seem harmless enough. [To Carl] Except for you. I'll have to keep an eye on you."

Alexei asked, "Hey, doctor, by any chance, where are those weapons?"

"One thing at a time, sir," Jenner responded.

Frustrated, Alexei followed his advice.

When Jenner looked away, the smile on his face quickly vanished. He led the group down a dark hallway.

"Are we underground?" Carol asked, a hint of concern in her voice.

"Do you have claustrophobia?" Jenner inquired, curious.

"A little," Carol admitted as they walked.

"Try not to think about it," Jenner advised, trying to ease the tension.

Upon entering a large dark space, Jenner activated the lights. "VI, turn on the lights in the big room," he ordered.

The lights flickered on slowly, revealing a vast room.

"Welcome to Zone 5," Jenner announced.

"Where is everyone? The other doctors, the staff?" Alexei asked, his concern growing.