Capítulo 18

The entire scene was interrupted by the sound of engines and headlights— a miracle, Shane had returned.

"Carl?" Shane asked, as if he had fought the infamous battle for life itself, any life. Alexei knew that look all too well.

Hershel responded, "We need to operate now." But upon seeing the car, he noticed his friend wasn't there. "Otis?" he asked.

Shane only shook his head, signaling that the man had met his final fate.

"Don't tell Patricia anything. I need her," Hershel, with a mix of sadness and determination, ordered everyone.

"Alright, let's get on with it then," Alexei took the heavy backpacks from Shane and headed with everyone toward the operation.

Rick went to meet his friend, Shane with a look fixated on something only his memory held, a timeless moment for him.

Shane rubbed his forehead with a trembling hand, his eyes lost in a mix of guilt and pain. "They kept blocking us at every step. We had nothing left. We were down to ten bullets. Then he said... he said he'd cover me, and I should keep going. So that's what I did. I just... I kept going. But I... I looked back and he... I tried."

Rick, with a heavy expression of sadness and understanding, murmured, "He wanted to fix things."

(Operation)

The muffled sound of voices from outside seemed distant, almost irrelevant compared to what was happening inside. Hershel, with steady hands and focused eyes, took a deep breath before starting. Alexei, sweating, looked at the open wound in the child's abdomen, his gaze fixed, fighting to remain calm.

"Let's get these shrapnel pieces out, and we need to be quick. First, I need you to keep the pressure here, right beside the incision," said Hershel, moving Alexei's hand to the right spot. "Not too much force, just enough to contain the bleeding without pressing on the organs."

Alexei nodded, his hands slightly trembling. "Yes, sir."

"Good. I'm going to remove the first piece of shrapnel, it's superficial, near the edge. Keep an eye on the color of the blood; if it darkens, tell me immediately," Hershel instructed, as he used tweezers to reach the metal fragment. With a precise movement, he pulled out the piece of shrapnel, his eyes never leaving the wound.

Hershel continued, never losing focus. "Now, the second piece, it's deeper. I need you to move this part of the tissue aside so I can have access. Use the tweezers, slowly... yes, just like that."

"Sir, I think it's bleeding faster here," Alexei alerted, trying to keep his voice steady.

"Good eye. Must be a ruptured vein. Grab the hemostat, quickly!" Hershel's voice was sharp. "Clamp the vein before we lose more blood. Calm but firm, understood? You need to be precise."

As Alexei clamped the vein, Hershel was already working on the third shrapnel piece. "This one's near the muscle. I need you to suction the excess blood so I can see better. That's it, keep going."

Patricia monitored Carl's pressure and vital signs while assisting with the improvised lighting.

With sweat running down his forehead, Alexei followed the instructions, his movements more confident now, though still nervous. "And now?"

"Now we move to the fourth piece, it's close to an artery. Any mistake here, and it could rupture, so stay calm. I'm going to do this slowly. Be ready with the vascular clip, in case I need it," Hershel explained, removing the shrapnel with millimetric precision.

"Last piece," he said, relieved but still focused. "It's looser than the others, let's get it out quickly. Done. Now, let's suture the vein."

Hershel gave Alexei a brief look, assessing his condition.