Capítulo 15

After the forced retreat from the CDC, the group will try Fort Benning, in search of safety, medicine, and a chance, as Rick had asked Jenner. However, Alexei knew that Fort Benning at this point would have already fallen due to its own structure, which was not ideal for the group's needs. Still, Alyosha agreed to join the journey because part of him could no longer bear to be alone, and another part wanted to fulfill his promise to Yuri, "stay alive," he remembered.

Shane was driving alone in his jeep, Daryl in his pickup truck where he kept his motorcycle in the back, Rick, Carol, Carl, and Lori were in the same car, and in Dale's RV were Andrea, Glenn, and Alexei.

Alexei sat next to Dale, "You know, right, that this trip to Fort Benning will take us somewhere else, right?"

"What do you mean?" Dale questioned. Alexei sighed, "Fort Benning will be a mess, I just know these things, I know soldiers, especially recruits. Benning is a basic training center, and who's to say they won't shoot us on sight? I saw it in Atlanta."

Dale, concerned, asked, "Why didn't you say this earlier, son?"

"The group needs a goal, a focus. We're still far away. I'll think of something, I promise," Alexei assured.

"Do you think you'll ever go home?" Dale asked, genuinely curious.

"Это моя задача, я должен доложить компетентному офицеру," Alex responded, with no intention of translating.

The RV broke down; the radiator hose had needed replacement or repair for days. The convoy stopped. Alexei got out and began scavenging the deserted highway filled with abandoned vehicles. Other members of the group did the same. Shane was also searching, and when he opened the door of a delivery truck, he found gold in the form of H2O, gallons of water.

"Glenn, were we low on water?" Shane joked.

He opened the lid of a gallon, pouring it over himself and taking a long drink.

"Hey, save some for me!" Glenn said, laughing.
"It's like being baptized, man," Shane joked again.

As Alexei checked car after car, he began to hear footsteps and more footsteps, and then the dreaded groans of zombies. When he investigated, he realized it was a horde—hundreds of zombies marching in the group's direction. It was too late to regroup; now everyone had to save themselves however they could. Alexei spotted a black van a few meters in front of him and slipped inside, quietly closing the door and moving to the deepest part where no light would enter.

 Alexei spotted a black van a few meters in front of him and slipped inside, quietly closing the door and moving to the deepest part where no light would enter

Minutes passed like hours, each second feeling like a step closer to death. However, it seemed the horde would pass without incident until Alexei heard screams. Moving towards the source, ensuring the horde had gone, he discovered that Sofia had run into the woods, chased by two zombies, and Rick had followed right after her. Before Alexei could do anything, he heard Carl scream. A walker, lost from the horde, was advancing quickly toward him. Alexei didn't hesitate; with great care, he performed a double-leg takedown on the walker and delivered a fatal blow with his tactical knife to its skull. Lori rushed to hold Carl, giving Alex a look of immense gratitude.