Chapter One: Who Are You?

Dan...

Daniel...

"DANIEL!!"

I jumped up about 6 feet, startled by a booming voice shouting my name. I turn to my head a bit to the right to see my mother's red face like 2 inches away from mine. I jump back once again, causing myself to fall off the opposite side of my bed.

I hear her heels stomping over in my direction. I then scramble up onto my feet to come face to face with an even more furious-looking mum.

"DANIEL JAMES HOWELL!! YOU ARE 2 MINUTES LATE FOR SCHOOL! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY FOR YOURSELF?!?!" she screams at me, even though I'm literally an inch away from her.

Okay, by this point, I think she is just coming up with excuses to yell at me, I think to myself. What's new..

"I-I-I-"

"STOP YOUR STUTTERING AND HURRY UP!! I HAVE TO DRIVE YOU TO SCHOOL SINCE YOU MISSED THE DAMN BUS!!" she screams, again, and before I get to respond, she's already stormed out of the room.

I surprisingly keep the tears in this time, though by the time I get to school I'll most likely go hide myself in the disgusting guys bathroom with my one and only true friend...my razor.

I don't know what I would do without my razor. I've relied on it to take my pain away for so long that I wouldn't be able to function without it. It never leaves my side, it always makes me feel better, it's a true friend, not that i really understand what an actual true friend is. I've never really had any friends since....well....since Dylan.

Dylan was a very close friend of mine back in years 6-9, before i became an even bigger worthless piece of shit than I am now. He always treated me like a prince, like I was everything. And I loved that about him. He never left my side, he always made me feel better, much like my razor...except my razor didn't leave me.

Back in year 9, I started to understand myself. To be specific, my sexuality. Until that one fateful day in late September, I never really thought much of my sexual orientation. I just always assumed I liked girls, which was the "normal" thing to do I suppose.

On that late September day, though, I met up with Dylan at our spot in the forest, where we always stayed in our free time. I saw him sitting by the creek, staring at the cold, clear water. I smiled and sat down next to him.

*flashback*

I smiled and sat down next to him.

"Hello Dan," he said, still staring down at the creek with a friendly smile on his face as well.

"Hi Dylan," I replied in a sing-song voice. "What's up?"

"Nothing much, just staring at the creek for no apparent reason," he chuckled. "How about you?"

"Eh, nothing much either. Just-" And that's when I saw it, he looked over at me with his beautiful blue-green eyes, and my mouth stopped forming words. i noticed how his beautiful light blonde fringe fell perfectly over the side of his face. My jaw was hitting the floor at this point, but I hadn't seemed to noticed until I felt myself leaning forward, towards Dylan. He didn't move a muscle as my face neared his. Finally, our lips made contact, and oh, how the sparks flew, like fireworks. But he suddenly jerked backwards, falling onto his back, then scrambling up quickly. He stared down at me with an intense glare that clearly said "Oh my god! What the fuck was that?!".

"What was that?! You fag! I should've known it all along!" Dylan screamed as he furiously wiped at his lips. My eyes started stinging with tears, while my throat started burning as I tried to form words to say, but I just couldn't.