Chapter 18

Mr. Pedro hugged her, enveloping her in a warmth that felt both foreign and comforting. They sat there together in silence, lost in their own thoughts, as the sun began to set, casting a golden hue across the garden. The air was thick with unspoken words, each heartbeat resonating louder than the last. It felt like a moment suspended in time, one that Seraphina would cherish but also dread as it would inevitably end.

As twilight descended, Elara appeared, searching for Seraphina. Mr. Pedro quickly pulled away from her, his demeanor shifting back to the guarded, aloof persona she was used to. He stood up, his eyes averted, and without a word, walked away, leaving Seraphina bewildered and a little hurt.

“Are you alright?” Elara asked gently, noticing Seraphina’s confused expression.

Seraphina nodded, forcing a smile as she got to her feet with Elara's help. Together, they walked in silence back to the maid's quarters, the weight of the unaddressed emotions lingering in the air like a storm cloud ready to burst.

The next few days felt like an eternity. Mr. Pedro didn’t call for her, didn’t seek her out, and he certainly didn’t venture into the garden where they had shared that unexpected moment. It was as if he had retreated into a shell, avoiding her completely. Seraphina felt a mix of disappointment and frustration brewing inside her. She was desperate to finish what she had started—to make him fall in love with her—yet his sudden absence left her feeling lost.

Determined not to let this setback deter her, she made her way to Marie’s quarters, a sense of urgency guiding her steps. “Marie!” she called as she approached, the sound of her footsteps echoing against the stone walls. “Can you tell me how many more steps are left in your plan? I need to know what to do next.”

Marie looked up from her desk, her expression shifting from surprise to understanding. “I’m glad you came, Seraphina. There’s one more step to complete after Step 4, but I need to know if you’re ready for it.”

Seraphina felt a surge of determination. “I’m ready! I can’t let this chance slip away. What do I need to do?”

Marie leaned forward, her voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. “Step 4 is about creating shared experiences. You need to find a way to draw him back in—something that engages him and makes him feel connected to you again. Show him a side of you he hasn’t seen, one that reflects your true self, and not just the playful persona you’ve created.”

“Shared experiences?” Seraphina repeated, her mind racing with possibilities. “What do you suggest?”

Marie smiled knowingly. “Plan something unexpected, something that pulls him into your world—a moment that feels genuine and allows both of you to be vulnerable. You could invite him to join you for an outing, or perhaps a fun project in the garden where he can see your artistic side.”

Seraphina felt a spark of inspiration ignite within her. “The garden! He loves sketching there. Maybe I can set up a little drawing challenge or something! It could be fun.”

“Exactly! Just be yourself, and don’t overthink it,” Marie advised. “But remember, this is only Step 4. There’s still one more to go after this. Are you prepared for what that will entail?”

Seraphina nodded, determination set in her features. “I am. Whatever it takes.”

With a plan forming in her mind, she felt a renewed sense of purpose. She would find a way to break through Mr. Pedro's walls once more. Little did she know, that this journey would not only challenge her but also lead her down a path she never expected—one that could change everything between them.

With her heart racing and her thoughts racing even faster, Seraphina left Marie’s quarters, already imagining the creative ways she could engage Mr. Pedro in the coming days. It was time to show him who she truly was.

So she went to Mr. Pedro’s building, slipping silently into the sitting room. Every step up the stairs felt heavy with anticipation. Marie had called Step 4 the most critical one yet—doing something that catches him completely off guard. Seraphina knew she had to surprise him, something bold enough to pull him out of his guarded walls.

Halfway up the staircase, she froze at the sight of Clara rushing out of Mr. Pedro’s room. Clara’s blouse was buttoned unevenly, her face a mix of embarrassment and frustration, as if she’d been caught doing something she shouldn’t. She didn’t even glance at Seraphina—just hurried down the stairs, leaving behind a trail of suspicion.

Seraphina bit her lip but didn’t let the moment deter her. She tiptoed toward Mr. Pedro’s door, pressing her ear lightly to the wooden frame. Hearing nothing but the sound of shifting paper inside, she took a deep breath, her heart racing, and knocked.

No answer.

With a mixture of nerves and determination, she pushed the door open just a crack. Then, in a sudden burst of inspiration for her unexpected plan, she shut her eyes, covered them with her palm, and called out, "Mr. Pedro? Are you dressed?"

The room went quiet for a second, then she heard soft, deliberate steps approaching. The door swung open, and a familiar deep voice, laced with amusement, spoke. "Why would that matter?"

Seraphina stood frozen, forcing herself not to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation. She shifted her weight nervously. “It matters... because if you're not, I don't want to see something I shouldn't,” she whispered with exaggerated politeness, trying to sound as innocent as possible.

He chuckled softly. "Relax. I'm dressed."

Seraphina peeked through her fingers and saw him standing there, a sketchbook in one hand and a quirked brow, looking both curious and amused. This is it, she thought. Time to deliver the unexpected.

Without hesitation, she marched right past him into the center of his room, surprising him as she spun dramatically on her heel to face him.

“Since you’ve been so quiet lately,” she began, hands on her hips, “I’ve decided we’re going to draw each other. Right now.”

His brows shot up in disbelief. “Draw each other?”

“Yes!” she insisted, plopping herself cross-legged on the floor like a child. “You sit there.” She pointed to a spot across from her. “We’ll sketch each other, no excuses.”

For a moment, Mr. Pedro stared at her, clearly caught off guard. Then, as if unable to resist the absurdity of the situation, he shook his head with a small smile and sat down across from her.

“You really are something, aren’t you?” he muttered, pulling out his sketchbook.

Seraphina grinned triumphantly, her embarrassment from the garden incident finally fading. “I told you, Master Pedro—you’ll never know what to expect from me.”

And with that, they both began to draw—his hand moving with practiced ease, while hers clumsily traced lines with determined focus.