Chapter 21

Seraphina found herself drawn to Mr. Pedro's room every day, the distance between them shrinking with each conversation. Their casual chats began in the early afternoons, just after lunch, when the sun poured through the window and illuminated the small, cozy space. She would bring him sweet pastries from the kitchen as an excuse to visit, and he welcomed her with a warm smile that made her heart race. Their laughter filled the room, creating a comfortable atmosphere that allowed Seraphina to gradually peel back the layers of her carefully crafted persona.

One quiet afternoon, as they sat on the plush sofa, Seraphina noticed something different in Mr. Pedro's demeanor. He seemed lost in thought, staring out the window as the sun began its descent, casting golden hues across the room. The usual lighthearted banter had faded, replaced by a contemplative silence that lingered between them.

Curiosity getting the best of her, Seraphina asked, “So, what about your parents? Do you ever miss them?”

His response was immediate but subdued. “They’ve been gone for a long time now.”

Seraphina felt a pang of regret, wishing she hadn't brought it up. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to—”

He held up a hand, a hint of a smile playing on his lips, and continued. “No, it’s alright. It’s just... hard to talk about sometimes. But if you want to hear the story, I can share it.”

Seraphina nodded eagerly, leaning forward. “I’d love to hear it.”

Pedro took a deep breath, clearly gathering his thoughts. “It all started when I was around twelve. My family was living in a small estate outside the royal grounds. My grandfather was king, and my parents were well-loved figures in the kingdom. They had hopes of reviving the kingdom’s artistic heritage, which had been slowly fading.”

He paused for a moment, his gaze distant. “But everything changed when your father, who was part of the royal council, plotted to take power for himself after my grandfather died. It was supposed to be a peaceful transition, but instead, it turned into a nightmare. Your father ordered my parents’ execution, claiming they were threats to the new regime. They were brutally murdered, along with my fiancé, Isabel, who had been visiting that night.”

Seraphina's heart raced as she absorbed the gravity of his words. The room felt heavy with the history that intertwined their families, a tragic tale of betrayal and loss. “I had no idea...”

He continued, his voice steady yet filled with pain. “I was at home, blissfully unaware, waiting for them to return. When the guards came to tell me, I thought they were joking. But the horror of that night shattered my world. I lost everything in an instant.”

Seraphina’s chest tightened as she listened. The truth of her father’s actions weighed heavily on her. “How did you cope with such a loss?”

“I was sent to live with distant relatives, stripped of my title and my identity,” he replied, his expression hardening. “For years, I felt like a ghost, haunted by the past. But I found solace in art. Sketching became my escape, my way of processing the pain. It allowed me to create a world where I had control, where my family was alive and my dreams were still possible.”

As he spoke, Seraphina’s admiration for him grew. She felt a surge of empathy, realizing the depth of his suffering and how it shaped the man he had become. “I can’t believe you endured all that,” she said softly. “I’m so sorry for what you went through.”

Pedro smiled faintly, a mix of gratitude and sadness in his eyes. “It’s easier to talk about it now. I never thought I’d find someone willing to listen. You’ve been a bright spot in my life, Seraphina.”