Chapter 24

As she picked up a pastry, her heart ached with the weight of her emotions. She knew she had to confront her feelings eventually, but for now, the food became her refuge. She nibbled quietly, avoiding his gaze, while he watched her, waiting for her to find the courage to speak her truth.

As Seraphina finished the last bite of the delicate pastry, a satisfying warmth spread through her, mingling with the emotions swirling in her heart. She looked up, only to find Mr. Pedro leaning closer, his gaze intense and filled with something she had longed to see—desire, hope, and an undeniable connection.

Without a word, he closed the distance between them, capturing her lips with his in a kiss that was both unexpected and electric. It was as if time stood still; all her fears melted away, leaving only the warmth of his presence and the taste of sweet pastries lingering on her lips. She felt herself leaning into him, reciprocating the kiss, her heart racing wildly.

Moments passed, and just as she began to lose herself in the sensation, he pulled away, their foreheads resting against each other. He searched her eyes with a sincerity that made her breath hitch in her throat. “You’re all I want, Seraphina. Not Isabel, not anyone else—just you.”

A smile broke across her face, a mixture of relief and joy flooding her senses. “Really?” she whispered, her heart soaring at his words.

“Really,” he affirmed, his thumb brushing against her cheek in a tender caress. The sincerity in his voice was a balm to her uncertainties, melting the last of her hesitations.

He wrapped her in his arms, enveloping her in a warm embrace that felt like home. She sank into him, feeling safe and cherished for the first time in a long time. It was a moment she wanted to freeze in time, a memory she would hold close to her heart.

Unbeknownst to them, Marie was peering through the kitchen doorway, her heart swelling with happiness for the two. She had been with Pedro since he was a child, nurturing him through his losses and guiding him as he navigated the world without his parents and Isabel.

Watching the connection between Seraphina and Pedro blossom brought a tear to her eye—tears of joy, relief, and a bit of sadness. She wiped away the droplet with her finger, knowing that Pedro had finally found someone who could fill the void left by the tragedy of his past.

“Finally,” she murmured to herself, her heart swelling with pride. “He deserves this happiness.”

She could see the way Seraphina made him laugh, the lightness in his eyes that had dimmed since losing Isabel. Marie had always hoped for this moment, and seeing it unfold before her felt like a dream come true. With a content smile, she stepped back, allowing them their privacy, feeling a sense of fulfillment that her boy was moving on and finding love again.

In the sitting room, Seraphina pulled back slightly from the embrace, gazing into Pedro’s eyes with newfound determination. “I want this too, Pedro. I want to be with you. But we need to take things slow. I need to process everything, and I don’t want to hurt you.”

He nodded, understanding etched in his features. “I’ll wait for you. I’ll always be here, no matter how long it takes.”

His promise settled like a warm blanket over her heart, making her feel secure in the knowledge that they would navigate this journey together. As they sat in that comfortable silence, surrounded by unspoken possibilities, Seraphina knew that this was only the beginning of something beautiful.