Chapter 12

After leaving the dining room with a playful, “I’ve got chores to do,” Seraphina made her way back to the maid quarters. As soon as she told Elara what had happened at lunch, Elara grinned wide and held out her hand for a high-five. Seraphina slapped her palm against Elara’s, both of them giggling like children with a shared secret.

“That’s progress!” Elara whispered excitedly. “You’ve got him thinking.”

Seraphina smirked. “Step one: complete.”

Later, the real challenge came when Seraphina decided to try makeup. She hadn’t worn makeup before, but if she was going to keep Pedro intrigued, she figured she needed to add something extra. The problem? She didn’t own any. So, in a small but sneaky operation, she enlisted Elara to “borrow” some makeup from Clara. Clara had no idea her products were missing, and Seraphina felt a wicked little thrill at the thought.

With the supplies in hand, she got to work. However, applying makeup turned out to be far more difficult than she had imagined. After smearing on some foundation, awkwardly dusting blush, and going way overboard with eyeliner and lipstick, she stepped back to admire her work in a tiny, cracked mirror.

Elara peeked over her shoulder and immediately burst into uncontrollable laughter. “Seraphina… what in the world? You look like a carnival clown!”

Seraphina raised her eyebrows, unbothered by the critique. “I tried, okay? Besides, I’m owning it.” She smoothed her hair and struck a ridiculous pose in the mirror. “If they can’t handle this level of fabulous, that’s their problem.”

Elara was still wiping tears from her eyes, struggling to breathe between laughs. “You’re really going out looking like that?”

“Of course,” Seraphina said confidently. “Clown or not, I’m going to rock it.”

By evening, Seraphina knew it was time for her next move. She had learned from Elara that Mr. Pedro had a habit of taking long walks around the compound at night, a routine he followed religiously. And this night, she was going to use it to her advantage.

Earlier in the day, they had discovered some old, traditional items in the storage room—faded lanterns, patterned rugs, incense burners, and a few dusty artifacts. Seraphina had no idea what most of them were, but they looked mystical enough to create an atmosphere. With Elara’s help, they arranged a cozy little setup at the far edge of the compound, hidden just out of sight unless you ventured all the way to the corner.

The plan was simple: create an intriguing space, something curious enough to lure Pedro’s attention. They hung the lanterns on low branches, lit the incense burners, and draped the rugs across the ground. The scent of herbs and sandalwood drifted through the air, adding to the strange allure.

“Perfect,” Seraphina whispered, surveying their handiwork. “It’s like a little oasis.”

Elara nodded approvingly. “He won’t be able to resist. You’ve got him now.”

Seraphina grinned. “All that’s left is to wait.”

And so, with her clown-like makeup and their mysterious setup complete, Seraphina prepared herself to cross paths with Pedro on his nightly stroll. Whatever came next, she was ready—or so she told herself.

Night draped the compound in silence, and as expected, Mr. Pedro began his nightly stroll. Seraphina, hidden in the shadows at the far edge of the compound, waited with bated breath. The soft glow of lanterns flickered across the setup she and Elara had created, casting eerie patterns on the ground. When Pedro reached the corner and noticed her, his usual calm demeanor faltered.

There, in the dim light, Seraphina stood with her face smeared in strange makeup and her hair slightly disheveled. She swayed back and forth, muttering incantations in a low, rhythmic tone. “Pedro... Pedro... your soul will serve well as the next sacrifice.”

His eyes widened, and for a brief second, he froze. Panic flickered across his face as if he wasn’t sure whether to run or confront her. His hands twitched, ready to turn back, but before he could take a step, Seraphina lunged.

With surprising speed, she grabbed his arm. He stumbled, struggling to free himself, but she held on tight. In one swift motion, she threw a handful of powder into his face.

He coughed and gasped, trying to wipe his stinging eyes, but she was relentless. Before he could catch his breath, she grabbed a piece of chalk and drew swift, jagged lines across his face. Pedro’s deep voice cracked with confusion. “What... What is this?!”

“You’ve been marked,” Seraphina said solemnly, her voice dripping with mock seriousness. “The spirits demand it.”

Pedro tried to shake her off, but she circled him like a dancer in a trance, chanting nonsense phrases. His normally sharp expression dissolved into one of frustration and bewilderment.

“What are you doing, Seraphina?” he barked, struggling to regain control, though a flicker of fear remained in his eyes.

Ignoring him, she smeared more powder across his cheeks and muttered a garbled chant under her breath. She placed an old, cracked bowl on his head like a crown and tapped it lightly, as if invoking ancient spirits. “Stay still,” she whispered theatrically. “It’s almost complete.”

Pedro stopped struggling, caught somewhere between exasperation and disbelief. “Are you... trying to curse me?”

Seraphina gave him a sly smile and whispered, “It’s not a curse... it’s initiation.”

Pedro blinked, baffled, and in that moment, Seraphina knew she had successfully thrown him off-balance. Whether or not he believed in her act didn’t matter—she had won the upper hand, leaving him as confused as a child caught in a storm.

She patted his shoulder, her voice dripping with false sympathy. “The spirits are watching now, Pedro... Choose your next steps wisely.”

And with that, she turned and sauntered off into the shadows, leaving him standing there, dusted in powder and marked with chalk, utterly stunned.

Behind the corner, Elara was waiting, barely able to contain her laughter. Seraphina met her gaze and grinned mischievously. “Step two: success.”

Elara shook her head in disbelief, still chuckling. “You’re either brilliant... or completely insane.”

“Both,” Seraphina whispered, feeling a surge of triumph. “Absolutely both.”