Part Five

The days flew by faster than I could have ever imagined. My time in San Dimas with Bill and Ted had been nothing but sort of extraordinary. But as the reality of my situation had began to settle in, I knew that my stay in the 1980's couldn't last forever. The Time Machine— my old phone booth— was set to return me to 2024, and I couldn't avoid it any longer.
The night before I leave, we hung out one last time in Bills garage. The usual laughter and music were there, but an unyielding sadness hung in the air. After a few hours, Bill excuses himself, giving Ted and me some space.
"I, uh, need to check on something," he said , awkwardly shuffling out.
"I'll be back in a bit."
As the door closed behind him, the room suddenly felt quieter and more intimate. Ted turned to me, his chocolate brown eyes full of unspoken words.
"Ava, do you really have to go?" He asked, his voice barely above a whisper. I nodded, feeling the weight of my decision.
"Yeah Ted. I can't stay here forever. As much as I want to, I have responsibilities back in my time."
And just like that, tears welled up in my eyes, and I tried to blink them away, but it was no use.
"I wish things were different," I admitted, my voice breaking and cracking.
Ted reached out and took my hand, his touch comforting but was not enough to stop the tears.
"I wish they were too, dude. You've become such an important part of our lives."
I couldn't hold it in any longer. The tears spilled over, and before I knew it, I was sobbing like a baby.
"This isn't fair." I managed to choke out between sobs.
"I don't want to leave you."
Ted's grip tightened, and he rested his chin on top of my head.
"I know, Ava. I don't want you to go either."
After what felt like an eternity, I pulled back slightly, looking into Ted's eyes. The sadness in them mirrored my own, and in that moment, something shifted. Without thinking, I leaned in and kissed him. It was soft and gentle at first, but it quickly deepened, fueled by the intensity of our emotions. When we finally broke apart, both of us were breathless. Ted cupped my face in his hands, his thumbs brushing away the tears.
"No matter where you are, Ava, I'll always be thinking of you."
I nodded, unable to find the words to express what I was feeling. Ted stood up and walked over to a pile of clothes, picking up his iconic orange jacket. He came back and draped it over my shoulders.
"I want you to have this," he said, his voice full of sincerity.
"So you'll always have a piece of me with you."
I clutched the jacket tightly, the fabric still warm from his body. "Thank you, man. I promise I'll keep it forever." I took off my amethyst bracelet and gave it to him. He takes it and slips it onto his wrist.
The next morning arrived far too quickly. Bill and Ted both accompanied me to the phone booth, their faces somber. I took one last look at them, trying to memorize every detail.
"Catch ya later Bill and Ted." I said, my voice thickened with emotion.
"Catch ya later Ava." Bill replied giving me a tight hug.
"You can always come back, no matter what time it is."
Ted stepped forward, his eyes misty.
"Catch ya later, Ava, and remember, be excellent."
"And party on dudes," I replied as tears streamed down my face as I stepped into the phone booth. But before it closed, I ran over to Ted, kissing him before I went back in. I wrapped the jacket around me like a protective shield. I pressed the buttons that would take me back to 2024.