Chapter 12: Shadows of the Third Task

Harriet's POV

As the third task approached, a weight settled over the castle. It wasn't like the buzz of excitement that had surrounded the first and second tasks-this time, it was different. There was tension in the air, a kind of quiet anticipation that made it hard to shake the feeling that something big was coming.

I was back to my usual routine, attending classes and spending time with Hermione and Ron, but there was always a sense of something looming in the back of my mind. I couldn't stop thinking about what Caden would face next, what kind of danger awaited him in the third task. The tournament had already pushed him to his limits, and the idea that he would be thrown into yet another life-threatening challenge sent a chill down my spine.

Caden had tried to reassure me, of course. He was always calm, confident, and ready for whatever the tournament had in store, but I could see the strain behind his eyes. He had been preparing nonstop, researching spells and strategies, but there was still so much we didn't know about the task. That uncertainty gnawed at both of us.

"You've been quiet," Hermione said one evening as we sat in the common room, her quill scratching against the parchment as she worked on her homework.

I looked up, realizing I had been staring at the fire for who knows how long. "Sorry. Just thinking."

She gave me a sympathetic look. "About the third task?"

I nodded, pulling my knees up to my chest. "It's hard not to. I just... I can't stop worrying about Caden. The tournament's been so dangerous already, and this is supposed to be the hardest task yet."

Hermione set her quill down and turned to face me fully. "Caden's incredibly skilled, Harriet. You've seen what he's capable of. He's going to be alright."

"I know," I said quietly, though the knot in my stomach refused to loosen. "But there's always that chance that something could go wrong."

Hermione reached over, placing a reassuring hand on my arm. "You care about him, and it's normal to worry. But you've got to have faith that he'll make it through this."

I smiled weakly, appreciating her words but still feeling the weight of my concern. It was easier said than done, especially with the bond I shared with Caden. Every time I thought about him stepping into that maze-or whatever the third task would be-I could feel the anxiety creeping in.

Caden's POV

The days leading up to the third task were a blur of preparation. I spent nearly every waking moment in the library, pouring over books and old tournament records, trying to find anything that would give me an edge. But no matter how much research I did, I still couldn't shake the feeling that there was something more to this task-something we weren't being told.

Harriet's concern for me weighed heavily on my mind, even as I tried to focus on preparing. I could feel the anxiety radiating from her, especially when we were together. She tried to hide it, of course, but the bond we shared made it impossible for her to truly mask her emotions from me.

One evening, after another long day of research, I found her sitting by the fire in the common room, staring into the flames. I could tell she was lost in thought, her expression distant, and my heart clenched at the sight. She had already been through so much, and the idea of putting her through more worry during the third task made me want to storm into the Ministry and demand that they cancel the whole tournament.

But I knew that wasn't an option. The third task was coming, whether we liked it or not.

I walked over to her and sat down, resting my hand on her knee. "You alright?"

She blinked, coming back to reality as she looked over at me. "Yeah. Just... thinking."

"About the task?" I guessed, and she nodded.

"I can't help it," she admitted, her voice soft. "I know you're ready for it, but... I'm scared, Caden. I'm scared something's going to happen."

I squeezed her knee gently, leaning in closer. "I'm scared too, Harriet. But I'm prepared. I've trained for this, and I won't let anything happen to me-or to us."

She looked up at me, her green eyes filled with emotion. "Promise me you'll be careful."

"I promise," I said, reaching up to brush a strand of hair behind her ear. "And I'll come back to you. Just like I always do."

She smiled faintly, but I could see the worry still lingering in her expression. I leaned forward, pressing a soft kiss to her forehead before pulling her into my arms. She rested her head against my chest, her fingers clutching at the fabric of my shirt as she sighed softly.

"I just don't want to lose you," she whispered, her voice barely audible.

"You won't," I murmured, holding her tighter. "We'll get through this. Together."

Harriet's POV

Caden's words reassured me, but there was still a part of me that couldn't shake the fear of the unknown. The third task was coming, and with it, the possibility of something going wrong. But being in his arms, feeling the steady beat of his heart against my cheek, gave me the strength I needed to push the fear aside.

The night before the task, Caden and I found ourselves walking through the castle grounds, the cool breeze rustling the leaves as we made our way toward the Black Lake. It had become our place of solace, a quiet corner of the world where we could escape the pressures of the tournament, even if only for a little while.

"Do you think this is the last time we'll have a moment like this before everything changes?" I asked softly as we stood by the water's edge, my hand wrapped around his.

Caden glanced down at me, his expression thoughtful. "I don't know. But whatever happens tomorrow, I want you to know that nothing will change how I feel about you."

I looked up at him, my heart swelling with emotion. "I feel the same."

He smiled, leaning down to press a gentle kiss to my lips, and for a moment, everything else faded away. The tournament, the danger, the uncertainty of the future-it all disappeared in that one kiss.

When we pulled back, he rested his forehead against mine, his eyes closing as he sighed softly. "No matter what happens, Harriet, I'll always find my way back to you."

I smiled, holding onto him tightly. "And I'll always be waiting."

Caden's POV

As the third task drew closer, the tension in the air grew thicker. The maze loomed ahead of us, dark and foreboding, its tall hedges casting long shadows across the field. The other champions stood nearby, each of us silent as we waited for the task to begin. Cedric and Fleur exchanged brief glances, their expressions unreadable, but I could feel the weight of their own fears pressing down on them just as heavily as mine did.

But my thoughts were on Harriet. She stood in the stands with Hermione and Ron, her eyes locked on me. Even from this distance, I could feel her presence, the bond between us humming with a quiet intensity that gave me strength.

Ludo Bagman's voice boomed across the field, signaling the start of the task, and I took a deep breath, steeling myself for what was to come.

"Remember your promise," Harriet's voice echoed in my mind, and I nodded to myself, knowing that no matter what dangers lay ahead, I would find my way back to her.