Chapter 14: After the Maze

Harriet's POV

The moment Caden emerged from the maze, holding the Triwizard Cup high in his hand, the relief that washed over me was overwhelming. The crowd around us erupted into deafening cheers, their voices echoing through the grounds as the Hogwarts and Durmstrang students alike celebrated his victory. But for me, it wasn't just about him winning-it was about him being safe.

I felt the tension that had gripped me for hours finally break as I rushed down from the stands. Hermione and Ron followed close behind, both of them grinning widely, but I barely registered them. All I could see was Caden, his tall figure standing at the edge of the maze, surrounded by officials and fellow champions. He looked exhausted, his face pale and his body tense from the challenge, but his eyes found mine through the crowd, and that was all I needed.

I pushed my way through the sea of students, my heart racing, and before I could even think, I was in his arms. Caden wrapped me up tightly, his grip strong despite the exhaustion weighing him down. I buried my face in his chest, taking in the warmth of him, the steady beat of his heart, and the comforting scent that grounded me.

"You did it," I whispered, my voice barely audible over the roar of the crowd. "You made it."

He held me tighter, his hand brushing through my hair. "I told you I'd come back."

I pulled back just enough to look up at him, tears brimming in my eyes. "I was so worried. I kept thinking..."

"I know," he murmured, cupping my face gently, his thumb brushing away the tear that slipped down my cheek. "But it's over now. I'm here."

For a moment, we just stood there, surrounded by the noise and chaos, but it felt like we were the only two people in the world. He had made it through the maze, he had won, and he was here with me. Nothing else mattered.

Caden's POV

The noise around us was deafening-cheers, applause, congratulations-but all I could focus on was Harriet in my arms. The weight of the Triwizard Cup in my hand seemed light compared to the relief of having her close, of knowing that I had kept my promise.

The maze had been brutal, the dangers lurking around every corner, but I had made it. And I knew, deep down, that it was because of her. The thought of coming back to Harriet had kept me going, kept me fighting through every obstacle the maze threw at me. Now, standing here with her, everything felt right.

"I knew you'd win," she said softly, her voice barely audible over the crowd.

I smiled, brushing a stray curl away from her face. "I wasn't sure for a while there."

Her lips curved into a small smile, though I could still see the lingering worry in her eyes. "You made it through. That's all that matters."

Before I could respond, we were surrounded by a flood of people-students, professors, and tournament officials, all congratulating me and the other champions. Fleur and Cedric were smiling despite their exhaustion, both of them offering me a nod of respect. But even as the crowd pressed in, my focus remained on Harriet. She was the only thing that grounded me in the chaos.

Dumbledore approached, his eyes twinkling with pride as he extended a hand toward me. "Well done, Caden. You've shown great strength and skill throughout this tournament."

I shook his hand, offering him a grateful smile. "Thank you, Professor."

The crowd surged again, and I felt a momentary wave of dizziness from the overwhelming noise and attention. Harriet, sensing my discomfort, stayed close, her hand slipping into mine as we navigated the sea of students. The noise became a blur, and all I could think about was finding a moment of quiet-just the two of us.

Harriet's POV

After what felt like an eternity of congratulations and well-wishes, we finally managed to slip away from the crowd. The noise from the celebration still echoed in the distance as Caden and I made our way to one of the quiet courtyards just outside the castle. The cool night air was a welcome relief, and I breathed in deeply, feeling the tension of the day slowly ebb away.

Caden leaned against the stone wall, his eyes closing briefly as he let out a deep breath. He was still holding the Triwizard Cup, though the weight of it seemed almost forgotten as he rested his head back against the wall. I stood beside him, feeling the warmth of his presence, and for the first time since the third task began, I allowed myself to relax.

"Are you alright?" I asked softly, reaching up to touch his arm.

He opened his eyes, a tired smile tugging at his lips. "I am now."

I smiled back, leaning my head against his shoulder. "I'm so proud of you."

He chuckled softly, turning his head to press a kiss to the top of mine. "I couldn't have done it without you."

I tilted my head up to look at him, my heart swelling with emotion. "You did it, Caden. You won. You faced all of it and came through stronger."

He met my gaze, his silver eyes softening as he reached out to cup my face. "I wouldn't have made it without you. The thought of coming back to you kept me going."

My chest tightened at his words, and I leaned into his touch, feeling the weight of everything we had been through. The tournament had tested both of us in ways I hadn't expected, but we had come out of it together. Stronger. Closer.

"I love you," I whispered, my voice trembling with the emotion I had been holding back.

He smiled softly, his thumb brushing against my cheek. "I love you too."

The words hung between us, filling the quiet night air with a warmth that chased away the lingering cold of the maze. I leaned up, pressing my lips to his, and for that moment, everything else faded away.

Caden's POV

As Harriet's lips met mine, the weight of the tournament seemed to lift, leaving only the warmth of her touch. I pulled her closer, deepening the kiss, needing the connection between us more than I had realized. The past few weeks had been a whirlwind of danger, uncertainty, and fear, but now, in this moment, it was just us.

When we finally pulled back, she rested her forehead against mine, her breath coming in soft, steady rhythms that matched my own. The bond between us pulsed gently, a reminder of the strength we shared.

"I don't know what's next," Harriet said quietly, her eyes searching mine. "But as long as we're together, I think we'll be okay."

I smiled, nodding in agreement. "We will be."

The future still felt uncertain, but for the first time in a long while, I wasn't afraid of it. We had faced the worst the tournament had to offer, and we had come out stronger because of it. Whatever came next, I knew that Harriet and I would face it together.

The celebration from the Great Hall was still going strong, but here, in the quiet courtyard, with Harriet by my side, I finally felt at peace.